Dumb DACS question

I'm doing some last-minute work on Part I of my DACS claim, and I have what is probably a really dumb question. Can you claim UK newspaper website URL's (e.g. The Guardian's website) in Part I? I know that you can't claim newspapers in Part II, but it's unclear if it's acceptable in Part I.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by John Mitchell

John, I just got on to ask the same question - help!

Lots of Guardian, Telegraph, and Daily Mail pix over the years.

I forgot about DACS until today - I can't access the stuff I saved all year because I'm using a 2009 laptop I can't update - Yikes! I had the same question. At least we have until noon tomorrow.

Other questions: Does Yahoo have a UK site? The site (US) is down right now and I've got pix in news articles on there that are of international interest so wondering if I should bookmark that for a later search.

Same question re: msn

THANKS!

I don't  have a definitive answer in the sense of ever having asked DACS the question. However, I have assumed that since UK newspapers are excluded from the payback scheme altogether, it would be highly illogical for the online version of the newspapers to count towards DACS part 1. Therefore I ignore them.

In one sense you have nothing to lose by including them as DACS will simply disallow them, but I don't hold out much hope of them boosting your Part 1 total.

8 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

I don't  have a definitive answer in the sense of ever having asked DACS the question. However, I have assumed that since UK newspapers are excluded from the payback scheme altogether, it would be highly illogical for the online version of the newspapers to count towards DACS part 1. Therefore I ignore them.

In one sense you have nothing to lose by including them as DACS will simply disallow them, but I don't hold out much hope of them boosting your Part 1 total.

Thanks, Joseph. I assumed the same, but it's an illogical world out there. 🥴

BBC web uses are accepted. UK newspapers not ie) you can list them okay but they won't accrue a payment.

No idea how it works, why or what websites are included.

There is nothing logical about the system. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

I decided not to add UK newspaper websites. A lot of hassle for naught most likely. Also, I make very few of those types of sales, so no big deal either way for me. It looks as if you might be able to edit Part I even after it has been submitted. Not sure about that, though. Thanks for the feedback.

18 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I decided not to add UK newspaper websites. A lot of hassle for naught most likely. Also, I make very few of those types of sales, so no big deal either way for me. It looks as if you might be able to edit Part I even after it has been submitted. Not sure about that, though. Thanks for the feedback.

Yes you can continue to edit once submitted. The deadline has now passed.

• 3 weeks later...

Not wanting to start another DACS thread I have now started with part two and seem to have got my undies in a twist.

I have been doing this for a while now but just wondering if I am missing something.

When it says:  "Usage: Editorial.  Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic"  is that classed as editorial or as a Magazine?

Also can we claim for "Presentation" uses (eg. Powerpoint)?

Sorry to sound a bit of a dope but as said above even after reading DACS information sheets it is a bit confusing.

Allan

13 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Not wanting to start another DACS thread I have now started with part two and seem to have got my undies in a twist.

I have been doing this for a while now but just wondering if I am missing something.

When it says:  "Usage: Editorial.  Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic"  is that classed as editorial or as a Magazine?

Also can we claim for "Presentation" uses (eg. Powerpoint)?

Sorry to sound a bit of a dope but as said above even after reading DACS information sheets it is a bit confusing.

Allan

You can claim for the Magazine print use but not for the Presentation. 

16 hours ago, geogphotos said:

You can claim for the Magazine print use but not for the Presentation. 

Thank you Ian.

Darn I have missed these in previous claims as I was under the impression they were editorial.

How far back can I claim these or is it not possible now?

Allan

26 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Thank you Ian.

Darn I have missed these in previous claims as I was under the impression they were editorial.

How far back can I claim these or is it not possible now?

Allan

Claims are still open for the Books/Mags/TV part of the process. ie) Part 2.

You have until April 15th. You can claim for all past uses up to the end of 2021.