Jump to content

Images are jpeg and the correct size but won't upload to the sight.


Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, bobedmonson said:

I have upload images before but now, all I get is the dreaded circles of death.  Any helpful hints?

 

Maybe best to ask contributor services for a precise explanation.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, miscellany said:

Alamy has introduced a maximum file size, though I haven't seen an official announcement about this.

They say: '200Mb is the maximum file size (25MB compressed) '

I find even 24 mb files don't always upload, but anything under this does.

 

That info is outdated and incorrect (unless there has been a very recent change since last August when I last tested it). There used to be a  200MB limit but that has not existed for a few years now. I uploaded some large panos after a discussion on here (279MB and 198MB (file sizes on disk 46.2 and 41.2MB) and no problem. There used to be a 25MB compressed limit (file size on disk is better terminology I think) apparently but that has not been in existence for many years - many modern high MP  cameras produce JPEGS that would far exceed that limit without using a lower quality compression,

Edited by MDM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MDM said:

 

That info is outdated and incorrect (unless there has been a very recent change since last August when I last tested it). There used to be a  200MB limit but that has not existed for a few years now. I uploaded some large panos after a discussion on here (279MB and 198MB (file sizes on disk 46.2 and 41.2MB) and no problem. There used to be a 25MB compressed limit (file size on disk is better terminology I think) apparently but that has not been in existence for many years - many modern high MP  cameras produce JPEGS that would far exceed that limit without using a lower quality compression,

Not that many.

For example, Nikon D800 with its 36.3 Mp sensor produces 206.9 MB RAW file (16 bit), and when saved (8 bit and max quality) it's up to 25-30 Mb jpeg "on disc" file size, normally 12-20 Mb.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

Not that many.

For example, Nikon D800 with its 36.3 Mp sensor produces 206.9 MB RAW file (16 bit), and when saved (8 bit and max quality) it's up to 25-30 Mb jpeg "on disc" file size, normally 12-20 Mb.

 

The file size of a JPEG on disk depends on the content of the image as it depends on the compressibility. If there is a lot of detail in a shot, then the file will be larger than say a picture with a lot of sky at the same JPEG quality level. The pixel size of the image on the other hand is independent of the content. Check it out. 

 

Many JPEGS from a D800 will be well over 25MB. And then there are more modern cameras that have larger sensors (hard to believe the D800 is hitting 10 years old).

 

Finally just to reiterate, there is no 25MB limit on file size on disk in any case for submission to Alamy. I was just correcting the poster as this misconcdeption has been around for years.

Edited by MDM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MDM said:

 

The file size of a JPEG on disk depends on the content of the image as it depends on the compressibility. If there is a lot of detail in a shot, then the file will be larger than say a picture with a lot of sky at the same JPEG quality level. The pixel size of the image on the other hand is independent of the content. Check it out. 

That's what I meant - "and when saved (8 bit and max quality) it's up to 25-30 Mb jpeg "on disc" file size, normally 12-20 Mb."

Hopefully, the OP is following the topic. I'm OK with the file sizes 😉 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

That's what I meant - "and when saved (8 bit and max quality) it's up to 25-30 Mb jpeg "on disc" file size, normally 12-20 Mb."

Hopefully, the OP is following the topic. I'm OK with the file sizes 😉 

 

 

OK this is academic but just for the sake of clarity, normally 12-20MB depends on what you define as normal. Just looking at JPEGs I've submitted when I was using a D800 or D810 (same size sensor), many are in the range 25-30MB. With the D850 they can get up to nearly 50MB at highest JPEG quality. 

 

It begs the question as to how much additional compression Alamy are applying to the JPEGS when they re-save images for downloading. For example, my image 2B1R99E is 49.3 MB on disk (130MB pixel size) and the download size is 10.1 MB.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MDM said:

It begs the question as to how much additional compression Alamy are applying to the JPEGS when they re-save images for downloading. For example, my image 2B1R99E is 49.3 MB on disk (130MB pixel size) and the download size is 10.1 MB.  

Indeed. We're asked to submit "pixel perfect" images, but then they're compressed quite a bit. I suppose it's one of the consequences of needing to fit almost 300 million images on their servers and provide a responsive system. Quality versus quantity. Unfortunately Alamy seems to be changing towards pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap business model. IMHO it would be much better to trim the collection and maintain/boost the quality, then they might not have to discount quite so heavily.

 

Mark

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let me repeat: '200mb is the maximum file size (25mb compressed).'

 

That is from a statement to me in an email from Alamy on 11 Februrary 2022, in response to an enquiry about file size because, like Bobedmonson, I suddenly found that file sizes I had uploaded successfully until then were no longer accepted.

 

I currently find that uploading an image of 24 mb or more results in 'the dreaded circle of death'. If MDM can currently upload an image greater than 24mb, that would indeded be interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, MDM said:

 

That info is outdated and incorrect (unless there has been a very recent change since last August when I last tested it). 

 

58 minutes ago, miscellany said:

If MDM can currently upload an image greater than 24mb, that would indeded be interesting.

 

I did qualify my statements with (unless there has been a very recent change since last August when I last tested it).

 

I'll check it out in a while and report back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, miscellany said:

Let me repeat: '200mb is the maximum file size (25mb compressed).'

 

That is from a statement to me in an email from Alamy on 11 Februrary 2022, in response to an enquiry about file size because, like Bobedmonson, I suddenly found that file sizes I had uploaded successfully until then were no longer accepted.

 

I currently find that uploading an image of 24 mb or more results in 'the dreaded circle of death'. If MDM can currently upload an image greater than 24mb, that would indeded be interesting.

 

OK I just uploaded some images and I can absolutely confirm that there is no 24 or 25 MB file size on disk (compressed file size in Alamy speak) limit on uploading. The files I uploaded were two older  images from a D800E 27.5MB and 26.7MB on disk (Pixel dimensions 103MB) and a large pano 48.8MB (195 MB pixel dimensions).

 

However, the 200MB (pixel dimensions) does appear to have been reimposed as it would not take a 220MB (pixel dimensions) file and I just got a spinning circle. I cropped the file to 195MB and uploaded successfully. Previously it would allow the upload to go ahead and then there would be a message (can't remember what it said) and the file would be refused although there was no QC failure. For a few years there was no limit  that I ever reached but that is clearly in place again now.

 

So perhaps the inability to upload files larger than 24 or 25MB on disk is a problem with your internet provider. It is certainly not an Alamy restriction. If customer services say differently (i.e that there is a 25MB limit for file size on disk), then they are wrong. It is simple to test.

 

EDIT - they all passed QC immediately by the way.

Edited by MDM
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/02/2022 at 19:54, M.Chapman said:

Indeed. We're asked to submit "pixel perfect" images, but then they're compressed quite a bit. I suppose it's one of the consequences of needing to fit almost 300 million images on their servers and provide a responsive system. Quality versus quantity. Unfortunately Alamy seems to be changing towards pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap business model. IMHO it would be much better to trim the collection and maintain/boost the quality, then they might not have to discount quite so heavily.

 

Mark


For most practical purposes here (e.g. web or other online use),  I guess the very heavy compression will not make a lot of difference.  As most usage is online or small prints, the difference between level 4 (say) or level 12 JPEGs will probably not be very noticeable if at all. Text does not compress well in JPEG format but that is probably  a very minor issue here. I guess the saving in storage costs for Alamy must be pretty massive if they are discarding the original uploads after conversion - the stored files would be about a fifth of the original size. 
 

Edited by MDM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/01/2022 at 23:59, bobedmonson said:

I have upload images before but now, all I get is the dreaded circles of death.  Any helpful hints?

My uploads failing too with same result.

I've been in touch with Alamy and waiting the help of their IT services.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/01/2022 at 23:59, bobedmonson said:

I have upload images before but now, all I get is the dreaded circles of death.  Any helpful hints?

Is this browser upload route? Frequently failed for me after 10 or so images. Now almost always use ftp upload

Edited by StokeCreative
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am having the same issue with not being able to upload images > 24 MB and get 'the dreaded circle of death'. 

 

So I decided to revert to Filezilla FTP uploading, only to find my FTP password no longer works.  Does anyone know how I can reset my FTP password for upload.alamy.com?  Oops, I realized the password is the same as my normal Alamy password.  My Filezilla FTP upload is progressing fine.  I guess that is my default method now for uploading to Alamy now that I have a camera that creates much larger images.

Edited by jhorton
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've conducted 3 test uoloads today.

Test 1 resize filw to under 25 meg - instantly uploaded!

Test 2 resize 4 files and leave a fifth file in the middle at original sizing - uploaded first 2 and then failed on file over 25 meg.

Test 3 resize all files to under 25 meg - they all uploaded.

 

I knew that nothing had changed at my end - it had to be Alamy.

 

Just read the above about internet providers - I'm with Talktalk in the UK.

 

Will do a test upload to my personal website.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SteveFleming said:

I've conducted 3 test uoloads today.

Test 1 resize filw to under 25 meg - instantly uploaded!

Test 2 resize 4 files and leave a fifth file in the middle at original sizing - uploaded first 2 and then failed on file over 25 meg.

Test 3 resize all files to under 25 meg - they all uploaded.

 

I knew that nothing had changed at my end - it had to be Alamy.

 

Just read the above about internet providers - I'm with Talktalk in the UK.

 

Will do a test upload to my personal website.

Just completed an upload to my own site - no problem with images around 27- 30 meg - so it can't be my Internet provider.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SteveFleming said:

Just completed an upload to my own site - no problem with images around 27- 30 meg - so it can't be my Internet provider.

 

Interesting. That was just speculation on my part that it might have something to do with internet provider restrictions. It's a mystery. As I said above, I've had no probem uploading images last week with file sizes on disk much greater than 24MB. The only restriction I saw then is the 200MB pixel dimensions limit for large panos. 

 

A 24MB limit on fle size on disk would not make sense as it would require downsizing of many images from cameras with large sensors and this goes against advice provided by Alamy many years ago when the 36MP D800 was released. 

 

Some informed input from Alamy here would be welcome.

Edited by MDM
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SteveFleming said:

Just completed an upload to my own site - no problem with images around 27- 30 meg - so it can't be my Internet provider.

 

Just to confirm again I just uploaded 3 images from a 45MP camera (around 130MB pixel dimensions) with file sizes on disk 29, 40 and 47 MB and they went through no problem. I doubt that the browser is an issue but for info I was using Safari on a Mac running Monterrey.

Edited by MDM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SteveFleming said:

I've conducted 3 test uoloads today.

Test 1 resize filw to under 25 meg - instantly uploaded!

Test 2 resize 4 files and leave a fifth file in the middle at original sizing - uploaded first 2 and then failed on file over 25 meg.

Test 3 resize all files to under 25 meg - they all uploaded.

 

I knew that nothing had changed at my end - it had to be Alamy.

 

Just read the above about internet providers - I'm with Talktalk in the UK.

 

Will do a test upload to my personal website.

This might be a red herring, but were the original files (the ones that wouldn't upload) saved as something other than Baseline ("Standard") jpgs? ISTR that Alamy doesn't like jpgs saved as progressive jpgs. Also since resizing and resaving worked, try just resaving without resizing.

 

Other things to try. Clear the browser cache and try again. If that fails try using a different browser.

 

Mark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

This might be a red herring, but were the original files (the ones that wouldn't upload) saved as something other than Baseline ("Standard") jpgs? ISTR that Alamy doesn't like jpgs saved as progressive jpgs. Also since resizing and resaving worked, try just resaving without resizing.

 

Other things to try. Clear the browser cache and try again. If that fails try using a different browser.

 

Mark

 

EDITED for clarity (given that someone appears confused by the logic of my initial post). 

 

It seems extremely unlikely that experienced users would suddenly start uploading incompatible file types given that Steve has nearly 10,000 images on Alamy, another poster in this thread (miscellany) has over 17,000 images and jhortom has over 11,000.

 

If it was a very widespread problem then it is likely that there would be far more contibutors complaining, as a 24MB limit for file size on disk is tiny by today's standards where many cameras have 36-60MP sensors.

 

Having ruled out internet provider limits, the most likely explanation is a software blip on the Alamy end but why is it only affecting some users (presumably a small minority)? It might be useful if affected individuals gave details of browser and OS if only to rule that out.

 

 

 

Edited by MDM
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/02/2022 at 16:02, M.Chapman said:

This might be a red herring, but were the original files (the ones that wouldn't upload) saved as something other than Baseline ("Standard") jpgs? ISTR that Alamy doesn't like jpgs saved as progressive jpgs. Also since resizing and resaving worked, try just resaving without resizing.

 

Other things to try. Clear the browser cache and try again. If that fails try using a different browser.

 

Mark

Yes they are Baseline.

Just tried to upload one file over 30 meg - nothing doing!

Have been waiting for IT for nearly 2 weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/03/2022 at 15:35, SteveFleming said:

Yes they are Baseline.

Just tried to upload one file over 30 meg - nothing doing!

Have been waiting for IT for nearly 2 weeks.

So it may be a browser issue.

Moved from Firefox back to Safari and test image loaded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, SteveFleming said:

So it may be a browser issue.

Moved from Firefox back to Safari and test image loaded.

 

It must be related to browser. I just uploaded a 35.6MB (165 Pixel dimensions) pano with Safari  but when I tried the same file with Firefox I just got the eternal wheel. - macOS Monterey 12.2.1. I think all recent previous tests used Safari.

 

 

Edited by MDM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.