Upload images via FTP

I will soon have a large batch of images (600±) to upload, a result of six weeks of travel/shooting.  If I use the FTP method to upload the images, is it acceptable to compress them into one Zipped file? Or do I need to upload the individual JPEGs? Thanks.  Mark Weidman

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I doubt that anything other than jpegs would even be recognised, but since you can upload folders anyway I can't see the point. I have FTPd folders containing almost 100 images.

I did not realise that was possible. Is it shorter time to upload folder than singles?  Thanks.

Allan

6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I did not realise that was possible. Is it shorter time to upload folder than singles?  Thanks.

Allan

Using Filezilla, I just drag and drop the folder. I'm sure it's quicker than dragging files individually- one folder instead of 20 or 30 or whatever one at a time. They always end up together in Manage Images as well, which is handy.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Mark. Yes I use Filezilla too.  About mid November time I was trying to upload using FZ but for some unknown reason it did not want to co-operate so went back to web upload and it was working quite fast so have been on the method for a while. Will try FZ with my next upload using Drag and Drop of folder.

Allan

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I doubt that anything other than jpegs would even be recognised, but since you can upload folders anyway I can't see the point. I have FTPd folders containing almost 100 images.

I also did not realize one can upload Folders; which is what I will do.  Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Not that it's been much of an advantage lately (I uploaded exactly 53 images in the whole of 2021🙁) but FTP really is fire-and-forget now. We do have fibre, but files haven't taken more than a few seconds each for a long time.

I faintly remember when an image could take north of 5 minutes to upload.

Edited by spacecadet

On 30/12/2021 at 21:01, H Mark Weidman Photography said:

I will soon have a large batch of images (600±) to upload, a result of six weeks of travel/shooting.  If I use the FTP method to upload the images, is it acceptable to compress them into one Zipped file? Or do I need to upload the individual JPEGs? Thanks.  Mark Weidman

Would NEVER for any reason ZIP images for upload to any agency or library.  Just my opinion, but does not

sound like a good idea?

Chuck

• Love 1