Portfolio critic

thombernat

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a psychic when it comes to selling other people's work, but if you want to sell on Alamy, you have to keep shooting, keep editing and honing your editing skills, and keep uploading. I am always surprised by what buyers purchase from my portfolio - not always the prettiest or nicest images, and often times just point and shoots that I took randomly. The more you upload, the more opportunity you will have for sales. 

• Like 1

Thomas, with just 14 images of general landscapes that you like, you can't expect sales. To earn licensing fees on Alamy you have to keep producing images; it's a long game. And you'll need. a better understanding of stock photography. 

• Like 1

Signs (anything with text on) sell better than landscapes, especially ones in the news, like Covid, or ones that are always in the news, like police cars. They may be boring and not artistic and not very challenging to photograph, but they sell. I do like your photos but it isn't a direction I would give priority to with the aim of selling more. I think I had about 800 images here and 8 months had gone by before I sold my first licence here. Keep at it. 

• Like 1

Thomas, all good advice above.  You also must expose your photos properly.  This one is just way too dark.  Didn't know what it was until I enlarged it.  You need more of an editorial purpose to your photos...what will buyers be looking for?  You photos have to be the answer to what the buyers need, so you can't have just vague images.  More of a target is needed as the subject.

Iced pinecone in the winter in Quebec,Canada - Stock Image

I do not usually comment on these pages now but will make an exception for this one.

One image (Cap-des-Rosiers's lighthouse in Gaspesie, Quebec, Canada) would be a better prospect of being a seller if you had forgot the foreground and concentrated on making the lighthouse the subject.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell