David Willis

David Willis

Question

10 answers to this question

11 hours ago, David Willis said:

Does Alamy accept a photo taken with a fisheye lens.? And would the results pass through quality control..

That would depend on the quality of the lens.

Allan

12 hours ago, David Willis said:

Does Alamy accept a photo taken with a fisheye lens.? And would the results pass through quality control..

I have viewed a few images on Alamy that were taken with a fisheye lens, but the big if is would most pass QC, and would there be a market for fisheye images. Also, as only a sample of submitted imaged go through QC, did the fisheye images slip through, impossible to predict. I've previously bought an 8mm Samyang fisheye lens for Nikon DX for a particular purpose, and never used it since. I can't ever envisage using it for Alamy. Some can create difficult to remove chromatic aberrations, and in bright sunlight flare can be difficult to control. Previously I used mine for commissioned shots of 2 bands, and personally for a series of 'in yer face' distorted headshots.

Edited by sb photos

You can do a search for 'fisheye' on Alamy, or maybe 'fisheye lens' and see a fair number, only those that have been captioned that way of course. Actually not all of these seem to be taken with a fisheye lens, some seem to be stitched panoramas, but I doubt that an image would be rejected purely because it was taken with a fisheye lens unless it showed some of the lens problems mentioned above. I'm probably biased but I don't find many of them entirely successful.

6 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

You can do a search for 'fisheye' on Alamy, or maybe 'fisheye lens' and see a fair number, only those that have been captioned that way of course. Actually not all of these seem to be taken with a fisheye lens, some seem to be stitched panoramas, but I doubt that an image would be rejected purely because it was taken with a fisheye lens unless it showed some of the lens problems mentioned above. I'm probably biased but I don't find many of them entirely successful.

Or a search here on the forum for fisheye.

wim

Over an early morning coffee I just found on Alamy this example of a fisheye shot that appears, to me, to work - https://www.alamy.com/2EP4P0D. I like the composition with 2 people on each side concentrating attention on the central subject. What we can't see is the edge definition. If I was to shoot such and image it would, in my case, involve carrying yet another body and lens, just in case I came across a suitable subject. I often carry 3 bodies and lenses (as I will be doing later today), I don't want to to carry more bulk and weight.

Note that the photographer also shot other images of the same not using a fisheye lens, and importantly it was uploaded as reportage, so didn't go through QC. If, in the image I reference, it was  selected for QC amongst a batch of stock uploads and viewed at 100% and the edge definition was poor, it likely wouldn't pass.

Edited by sb photos

On 26/10/2021 at 06:15, sb photos said:

I just found on Alamy this example of a fisheye shot that appears, to me, to work - https://www.alamy.com/2EP4P0D

Agree, that works very well, very good composition and balance from the pedestrians approaching from each direction. Unrelated, but it's quite strange how the punctuation has been messed up on upload, never seen that. So much so that he's uploaded new corrected versions of each shot he took, this time with punchier colours as well.

Edit: In fact one set were uploaded by his agency Sipa US, then another set by the photographer himself.

Edited by Harry Harrison

15 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Agree, that works very well, very good composition and balance from the pedestrians approaching from each direction. Unrelated, but it's quite strange how the punctuation has been messed up on upload, never seen that. So much so that he's uploaded new corrected versions of each shot he took, this time with punchier colours as well.

I used to have issues with some punctuation symbols as you noted when using an older version of Photo Mechanic for preparing Live News uploads. It was a pain correcting images in AIM later. I then avoided certain punctuation symbols. Every now and then when an older image is zoomed I find the same errors I previously missed, and correct them. No issues now, still using Photo Mechanic but the latest, unless it was an Alamy issue now corrected.

Edited by sb photos

7 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Could those corrections actually be his own uploads, not Sipa's? I don't get to see Sipa's images here: Sorry this image isn’t available for license in your territory, please contact us for more information. And when I click on Sipa US I get a blank page.

For his own images use rblfmr as a keyword.

Could the images be from a phone with a clip-on lens?

wim

edit: conversion or stripping the color profile could explain the difference in saturation in the case when his own images look different from the Sipa images. If you have access to Sipa images on Alamy, you could check if other Sipa contributors who are also Alamy contributors show a similar difference.

Edited by wiskerke

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

Could those corrections actually be his own uploads, not Sipa's?

Yes, you're absolutely right, the ones with the punctuation problems are (contributor)'Sipa US' with him separately credited as the photographer, the ones where he alone is credited as the contributor don't have that problem and have a little more saturation, in the thumbnails at least. Could be the conversion, I'd like to think that Alamy convert rather than strip even if it's only to sRGB but that may account for the perceived difference. Top marks if he was using a phone, it's perfect timing, I couldn't do that on a phone especially since those pedestrians must be very close and moving quite fast into the frame, though difficult with a camera for the same reasons. I don't actually know any 19MP cameras but all the pictures are 5340 x 3560 px. so traditional 3:2 format.