Sony a6100

I've been using the Sony a6000 for the past couple of years, and I'd say it is the best digital camera that I've ever owned.  Sony has now come out with a replacement for this camera, the Sony a6100. The main improvement seems to be the ability to shoot 4K video. It costs about $1100 CAN / $850 US (with kit lens) at the moment, but the price will no doubt go down in a few months. I won't be buying one because I'm very happy with my a6000 (plus I'm broke). However, it looks like an interesting camera, especially for anyone shooting video clips. Here's a comparison of the two cameras:

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Sony-Alpha-a6100-vs-Sony-Alpha-a6000

Edited by John Mitchell

Tried that link but withdrew when the cookie choices came at me. I'm very happy with the Sony a6500, and, as long as it continues to work satisfactorily won't be upgrading. I use the last standalone edition of Lightroom and new cameras will presumably not be supported, while the financial returns from stock shooting are now such that any major expenditure is unlikely to be cost effective. I am finding that my number of sales is holding up reasonably well, but income is continuing to fall, while I'm now of an age where I wonder if I will be around long enough to see any meaningful return on brand new gear !  Further I'm making increasing use of the little Sony RX that I bought used, so much more convenient than an exchangeable lens camera. The image quality isn't up to A6500 standard, but with decent light, most photos are fine for stock.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Tried that link but withdrew when the cookie choices came at me. I'm very happy with the Sony a6500, and, as long as it continues to work satisfactorily won't be upgrading. I use the last standalone edition of Lightroom and new cameras will presumably not be supported, while the financial returns from stock shooting are now such that any major expenditure is unlikely to be cost effective. I am finding that my number of sales is holding up reasonably well, but income is continuing to fall, while I'm now of an age where I wonder if I will be around long enough to see any meaningful return on brand new gear !  Further I'm making increasing use of the little Sony RX that I bought used, so much more convenient than an exchangeable lens camera. The image quality isn't up to A6500 standard, but with decent light, most photos are fine for stock.

Which version of the RX did you buy?

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Which version of the RX did you buy?

The RX 100 V. It has the pop up EVF and an equivalent focal length range of 24-70 mm.  The EVF is usable and has dioptre correction.

I was reluctant to buy anything with a greater focal length range as my experience of Sony zoom lenses has not been great. I've had to bin a few shots due to edge softness, but the great majority are crystal clear where it matters - unusually for me, I've not carried out any methodical testing of the lens.  I tend to use it like a point and shoot, I hardly ever make any adjustments, other than exposure compensation.

The sensor is quite a bit noisier than that of the a6500, but for most practical purposes it's fine. It's when you try to deepen the blue of the sky or shoot in gloomy places when you realise the limitations.  Noise control in LR and PS can deal with some of this, but the camera is what it is.

Overall a remarkable piece of kit. Here's an example. From memory, I probably selectively applied some noise reduction in the shadows.

Edited by Bryan

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

The RX 100 V. It has the pop up EVF and an equivalent focal length range of 24-70 mm.  The EVF is usable and has dioptre correction.

I was reluctant to buy anything with a greater focal length range as my experience of Sony zoom lenses has not been great. I've had to bin a few shots due to edge softness, but the great majority are crystal clear where it matters - unusually for me, I've not carried out any methodical testing of the lens.  I tend to use it like a point and shoot, I hardly ever make any adjustments, other than exposure compensation.

The sensor is quite a bit noisier than that of the a6500, but for most practical purposes it's fine. It's when you try to deepen the blue of the sky or shoot in gloomy places when you realise the limitations.  Noise control in LR and PS can deal with some of this, but the camera is what it is.

Overall a remarkable piece of kit. Here's an example. From memory, I probably selectively applied some noise reduction in the shadows.

Glad to hear you're happy with the RX 100 V. The results look good to me. Perhaps one of these years I'll break down and get one, used of course. I wouldn't mind having a bit more zooming power, though. The only reason I might consider "upgrading" to the a6100 at some point is that I've been fooling around with video clips. Does the RX V have 4K video capability?

30 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Glad to hear you're happy with the RX 100 V. The results look good to me. Perhaps one of these years I'll break down and get one, used of course. I wouldn't mind having a bit more zooming power, though. The only reason I might consider "upgrading" to the a6100 at some point is that I've been fooling around with video clips. Does the RX V have 4K video capability?

Sorry John, I don't do video these days so can't answer your question.

11 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Sorry John, I don't do video these days so can't answer your question.

Hmmm ... Looks as if it does support 4K video.

Can you use filters -- e.g. a ND filter -- on RX 100 cameras?

UPDATE: Seems it might have a built-in ND filter of some kind, maybe digital rather than optical.

Edited by John Mitchell

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

UPDATE: Seems it might have a built-in ND filter of some kind, maybe digital rather than optical.

There is no provision for an external filter that I can see, no threaded mount. Given that the lens retracts on power off, and is covered by a metal diaphragm, I can't see how you could safely use an external filter.

However, see this !!

Edited by Bryan

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

The V and VA have an integrated ND filter - it is not variable ND apparently though. There is a time limit of 5 minutes recordig I think for 4K to prevent overheating on the VA. 

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

There is no provision for an external filter that I can see, no threaded mount. Given that the lens retracts on power off, and is covered by a metal diaphragm, I can't see how you could safely use an external filter.

However, see this !!

Thanks. Of course. There's now an adapter for everything it seems.

33 minutes ago, MDM said:

The V and VA have an integrated ND filter - it is not variable ND apparently though. There is a time limit of 5 minutes recordig I think for 4K to prevent overheating on the VA. 

That's too bad. I find a variable ND filter very handy for video.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

However, see this !!

Soon after I bought my RX100 VII I added the Sony Grip and a 52mm filter holder and clip in lens hood. They make the camera a little bulkier, but useful at times.

On 15/09/2021 at 20:57, John Mitchell said:

(plus I'm broke). However, it looks like an interesting camera...

how sad

especially when solution is so simple

become subagent for free historical photos such as

https://www.loc.gov/free-to-use/

but its OK to continue moaning whilst building up

your subagent collection, as some feel lost otherwise...?

Edited by FocusUno
link

3 hours ago, FocusUno said:

how sad

especially when solution is so simple

become subagent for free historical photos such as

https://www.loc.gov/free-to-use/

but its OK to continue moaning whilst building up

your subagent collection, as some feel lost otherwise...?

You may have a point there -- if you can't beat 'em, join 'em (the middlemen, that is).