Trying to digest a lot in a short space of time, I would really appreciate a bit of advice.

I have uploaded a few photos to the main stock photo part of the site, and have just joined the newsfeed. I have used iTag to add titles, descriptions and tags to images quickly and in bulk.

1) Please confirm I can have 600 characters in the caption field for the newsfeed, but only 128 characters for standard stock uploads.

2) When my newsfeed images are added to the stock image part of the site, they do not have a description.

3) When my newsfeed images are added to the stock image part of the site, all keywords are in the comprehensive keywords area - do I need to move them to essential keywords, and main keywords?

4) Will this mess up my images in the newsfeed search?

5) Is there an Alamy tool I have not found, or can you recommend one that will work better?

6) Also, my images sit in the ready category for some time before going on sale - can I speed this up?

Sarah

1 - yes

2 - no, because your description will be in your caption. But you can add a description.

3 - it's a good idea to put the most important keywords into the essential keywords section, paste the rest into the main keywords section

4 - no, Alamy News will select some images and send them out to the newsdesks. The more info and keywords is good.

5 - no make sense

6 - 48 hours for newsfeed, 24 hours for normal upload, usually.

Thanks for your reply.

Re 3) When I upload stock photos, I make best use of essential keywords and main keywords, but images submitted to newsfeed first then appearing in stock photo using manage images 2.4, shows all keywords in the comprehensive area.  Do i duplicate or move them?

Re 5) Sorry.  i have used a software programme called iTag to add titles, descriptions and tags to images quickly and in bulk.  Is there an Alamy tool I have not found, or can you recommend one that will work better?

Re 6) Newsfeed images are almost immediate, but normal stock maybe 3 days - is this 24 office hours (Mon-Fri)?

Thanks for your reply.

Re 3) When I upload stock photos, I make best use of essential keywords and main keywords, but images submitted to newsfeed first then appearing in stock photo using manage images 2.4, shows all keywords in the comprehensive area.  Do i duplicate or move them?

Re 5) Sorry.  i have used a software programme called iTag to add titles, descriptions and tags to images quickly and in bulk.  Is there an Alamy tool I have not found, or can you recommend one that will work better?

Re 6) Newsfeed images are almost immediate, but normal stock maybe 3 days - is this 24 office hours (Mon-Fri)?

Re 3) Move them into what you think are the most appropriate boxes

Re 5) There isn't an Alamy tool unless I have missed something as well.  I don't know iTag so can't say if anything else is better.  I use Lightroom.

Re 6) Not really sure what you are asking here but newsfeed images are seen in the live news area for 48 hours then they are moved into general stock at the next update.  However the next update may be after the weekend or UK Bank Holiday as is the case this weekend.

Pearl

Re 5 . There is a batch edit tool in manage images v2.4.

Yes there is but it is not very user friendly unless you have lots of images which require they same keywords in the same boxes.

Pearl

Just photograph your pickle. My best fee last month was for pickles, and not Eric either.

Pickle can mean something else in some Country's (not a preserve)  David :-) 

Just photograph your pickle. My best fee last month was for pickles, and not Eric either.

More zooms then...

Alan

More zooms then...

Alan

Or a macro.....

John

• 3 weeks later...

Sarah,

You are uploading to newsfeed, but once it goes into your main stock collection, keywording becomes one of the most important components of stock photography, and I am not seeing this reflected in your essential keywords. Whether you use iTag or Manage Images 2.4, the essential keywords must reflect the most important objects in your image.

For example D7CRT6  has the essential keywords:  ReadingbeerfestivalCAMRA  but that isn't what I see as the salable features of your image. 

At this time you only have 149 images in your collection. Take an hour or so to really study what is in each of your images and describe it in your keyword boxes. Believe me, it will be time worth spending.

You might start with something like: D7CWK9  this is a very salable image, and I know you can tell everyone what it is in 50 characters.

Good luck,

Dave

Archived