Exclusive vs Not

K. L.  Howard

Question

Hey Everyone, Been a long time since I’ve posted on here. My question is,  exclusive vs non-exclusive. Seems a lot of contributors are changing their alamy portfolios to non-exclusive. Just wondering why.  I’ve searched a little in the forum and read the contributors are moving to non ex but didn’t find an answer why. Also feel free to post why or why not you make your photos exclusive. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

7 answers to this question

If the contract is not amended, I am changing to non-exclusive on most of my image because the only place exclusive is used is by the infringement team which will act on its own but put me liable of  any negative impact of the chase and worse, the compensation is loaded in their favour with a non specific "we take some reasonable fee straight from the top"

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

If the contract is not amended, I am changing to non-exclusive on most of my image because the only place exclusive is used is by the infringement team which will act on its own but put me liable of  any negative impact of the chase and worse, the compensation is loaded in their favour with a non specific "we take some reasonable fee straight from the top"

This definitely sounds like something to consider. However, it's all clear as mud to me at the moment.

Ok Thanks, I will go back and re-read the new contract.  I remember when Alamy used to pay contributors 70% but stock photography has been in a downward spiral for a while. Although Alamy is still one of the best agency in this business for editorial stock. 

• Like 1

On 30/05/2021 at 17:26, K. L. Howard said:

Ok Thanks, I will go back and re-read the new contract.  I remember when Alamy used to pay contributors 70% but stock photography has been in a downward spiral for a while. Although Alamy is still one of the best agency in this business for editorial stock. 

Sadly the comission is now either 40% or just 20% depending how much you sell.

They have done away with the exclusive to Alamy 50% .

No longer any incentive to remain exclusive (unless you sell $25,000 pa with them) ..

1 hour ago, wilkopix said:

Sadly the comission is now either 40% or just 20% depending how much you sell.

They have done away with the exclusive to Alamy 50% .

No longer any incentive to remain exclusive (unless you sell $25,000 pa with them) ..

in fairness, had they shown the value of the infringement team i might have seen it as an advantage, but alas they made the change 2 weeks after the introduction, so no concrete results, and added undefined liability on us in the process.  

• Love 1