Trapped under "Novel Use" low fees until next April!?

Like other contributors, I've been stunned to see some of my RM images getting sold for microstock rates since January '21 -- multiple travel images from Puerto Vallarta going for 25 cents a piece (before income taxes of 30%, dear Alamy), which is not what I ever realized was possible when I signed up for the "Novel Use" scheme in 2016 (and by the way the American usage of "scheme" fits here). I'm not happy with the explanation Alamy has provided (how great it is that they can find all these extra ways to license our images outside of their existing model), and I'm really concerned I can't OPT OUT of it until next April?! After all, it's May 2021. I never saw rates this low until recently, and it sounds like the same for others in the forums. If Alamy recently allowed this new all-time low on RM images, I think we should not have to wait 11 months to opt out. If I wanted to sell microstock, I would not be primarily RM and exclusive with Alamy. Can Alamy please reconsider allowing these lowball rates on our images, or at least let us opt out before next April?

Edited by Shelly R
adding timeline for reference, all in 2021
  • Like 1

I found the same thing and actually put it in my April calendar last year so I would remember to opt-out in a timely fashion on April 1st.. 

Yes, "scheme" is the right word. When I signed up for Novel Use, I somehow thought that I would be making MORE per image and there would indeed be some sort of novelty about the use of the images. Instead, my images were sold for dimes to a particular travel web site who was not at all novel, inventive, or different in any way from any other travel web site. 

Also, with opting-in for Novel Use, it might make it even more difficult to get from Silver to Gold level. 

Edited by kimba
  • Like 1

On 20/05/2021 at 18:52, Shelly R said:

Like other contributors, I've been stunned to see some of my RM images getting sold for microstock rates since January '21 -- multiple travel images from Puerto Vallarta going for 25 cents a piece (before income taxes of 30%, dear Alamy), which is not what I ever realized was possible when I signed up for the "Novel Use" scheme in 2016 (and by the way the American usage of "scheme" fits here). I'm not happy with the explanation Alamy has provided (how great it is that they can find all these extra ways to license our images outside of their existing model), and I'm really concerned I can't OPT OUT of it until next April?! After all, it's May 2021. I never saw rates this low until recently, and it sounds like the same for others in the forums. If Alamy recently allowed this new all-time low on RM images, I think we should not have to wait 11 months to opt out. If I wanted to sell microstock, I would not be primarily RM and exclusive with Alamy. Can Alamy please reconsider allowing these lowball rates on our images, or at least let us opt out before next April?

Due to the current new contract terms, as I understand it you can opt out now as the time ha been extended, so do it.

2 hours ago, Sally said:

Due to the current new contract terms, as I understand it you can opt out now as the time ha been extended, so do it.

they reopened the Distribution option, but not the Novel Use.  But it is probably worth a try to ask directly as a gesture of good faith in these "trying times for everyone". 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

@meanderingemu @Sally @kimba and any others who come across this in similar frustration, I encourage you to email your concerns to contributors@alamy.com too. Here's mine:

Dear Alamy Reps,

Like other contributors, I've been stunned to see some of my Rights Managed images getting sold for microstock rates since January '21 -- multiple RM travel images from Puerto Vallarta going for 25 cents a piece for a 5-year license before Alamy’s cut, and I pay 30% income tax on the remaining 10 cents?

This is not something I realized was possible when I signed up for the "Novel Use" scheme in 2016.

I'm not happy with the explanation Alamy has provided (how great it is that they can find all these extra ways to license our images outside of their existing model—we could do this ourselves if we wanted to sell these same images for microstock rates), and I'm really concerned I can't OPT OUT of it until next April?! After all, it's May 2021.

I think Alamy should seriously reconsider allowing this dirt-cheap sales option for the harm it is doing to our community and livelihoods. And now that we’re seeing just how low fees can go, we should not have to wait 11 months to opt out.

What’s worse, I’ve gone from the 2021 goal of seriously expanding my Alamy library to feeling like I should wait until next April before adding any additional images that might be sold this cheaply—and/or to list them elsewhere for now to ensure those images won’t be available for less than a pay phone call.

If I wanted to sell microstock, I would not be primarily RM and almost entirely exclusive with Alamy. Can Alamy please reconsider allowing these lowball rates on our images, or at least let me opt out before next April?

It hurts all of us RM contributors to have *some* RM photos available for dirt cheap. And coming out of the difficult past year this is especially concerning. Almost all of my library is represented exclusively by Alamy because, until now, I’ve always felt that Alamy has its contributors’ backs. Seeing what’s happening to use with this Novel Use scheme, and the length of time we must wait now to opt out doesn’t feel that way.

Thanks for your consideration,

Shelly

• Love 2

Hi, it was also a shock for me to see these sales on Alamy in cents. Even more shocking are the responses of Alamy about this situation which is not at all in favor of Alamy (why would a buyer buy more images at acceptable cost if they are given away at cents?) Or of us contributors.

Even worse is the fact that the option can only be removed in April and I sold in May at that amount so I was already out of the possibility to change. I was hoping, like others, that this new scheme would bring new sales and pull - at least - the rating a little higher ... at least that, and instead nothing.

I made a point of unchecking Novel Use for next April.