Critique my Portfolio

Girish Sapra

Hello All,

In for a healthy critique on my portfolio here. Any inputs relating to what to capture, how well to capture, what to improve (both at shoot and at processing) are welcome. Any views apart from the above which can help me become better photographer are also invited.

Please share your reviews on the portfolio posted below.

Portfolio Link :

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/xploreroflight

Regards

See my reply to this chap.

Steer clear of captions like 'This world isn't on your maps and books.......it's out there.'

Buyers and Alamys search engine expect captions to describe what the image is.

I doubt that anyone will search using the terms in your caption but I have seen stranger things 😉

Edited by Martin L
  • Love 3

As already mentioned, lots of work is needed on you captions and keywords. Also, your images are too dark. You need to brighten them up and photograph in better light. Remember that Alamy is mainly an editorial agency, so try to think how your photos might be used in magazines, books, and newspapers. Some of your images look like personal snapshots rather than possible illustrations for articles. Best of luck on Alamy.

• Love 1

Girish,

Good advice from Martin.

18 pictures in 3 1/2 years?  You need to work out what you want from this marketplace and then commit to it. Maybe click on the blue numbers of the forum contributors to get an idea of how much work is needed to earn a few dollars.

Stay safe.

• Love 2

Girish, good advice from the others. Just to emphasise on the captions:

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/captions-and-keywords-for-images/?section=8

"Before you start, think about the potential use of the image and what it’s likely to be sold for, the more accurately you describe your image, the more visibility it will have in customer searches, which will significantly increase your chance of making a sale."

+1 your images are too dark and you need to upload a lot more.

Steve

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Until you seriously commit to submitting images on a regular basis, I’m not sure extensive advice is warranted. People here are extremely helpful, but so far it doesn’t look like you are committed to stock or you’d have at least a thousand or more images submitted by now.  Most of us would prefer not to waste our time unless you are taking this seriously, then we’re happy to help.

If the fact that you’ve asked for a review means you are ready to commit and take this seriously, that's different, because everything you submit in the future can be influenced by how much advise you take on board and actively use for those future submissions.

• Love 1
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Until you seriously commit to submitting images on a regular basis, I’m not sure extensive advice is warranted. People here are extremely helpful, but so far it doesn’t look like you are committed to stock or you’d have at least a thousand or more images submitted by now.  Most of us would prefer not to waste our time unless you are taking this seriously, then we’re happy to help.

If the fact that you’ve asked for a review means you are ready to commit and take this seriously, that's different, because everything you submit in the future can be influenced by how much advise you take on board and actively use for those future submissions.

Tough love, Betty  😉

Edited by Martin L

1 hour ago, Martin L said:

Not sure what that means but I have tried to say it quietly as I'm scared

Lol, walking the thin line between truth and not hurting feelings! I never want to hurt someone’s feelings.

I like your nature pictures. I suggest on the man photographing the bird using the phrase “man photographing bird”, “man photographing birds” “person photographing bird” “person photographing birds” in your tags. That only counts as 4 tags.

Edited by Betty LaRue

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Lol, walking the thin line between truth and not hurting feelings! I never want to hurt someone’s feelings.

I like your nature pictures. I suggest on the man photographing the bird using the phrase “man photographing bird”, “man photographing birds” “person photographing bird” “person photographing birds” in your tags. That only counts as 4 tags.

Thanks, good idea

• Love 1