Sorry, we don't have a budget for photos . . .

I've been reviewing this old thread trying to get some advice.  What if it is a charity that contacts you and asks you to shoot high res photos for use in their print materials? - of volunteers at work, headshots of employees, etc.  It's a local charity that does good work.  They are looking for volunteers, no pay.

Well, it's up to you. I have given pictures to one particular charity, because I'm very much 'in tune' with the work they do. But this was my choice. If I was approached by a charity, I can't say I'd be very co-operative. I'd want to know who else in their publications department was expecting to work for no pay. I might be more amenable to a request by a small local charity. Are there any stock photos you could take at the same time?

That's a matter for your conscience, not your business. If you can get some useful exclusive material and keep the rights, and get it released, it might be worthwhile.

In the US it might get you a tax credit. Don't know about Canada.

Thanks for your replies.

I was contacted by a friend of mine who works there, and haven't given an answer yet.  It seems like quite a bit of work.  I had considered the possibility of using some of the photos for stock.  I don't think we would be able to get a tax receipt here for such volunteer work here, usually its just for monetary donations.  

Most charities use volunteers but have executives on high salaries. You should do some research on the charity to see what it pays directors before deciding. A lot of professional photographers won't just give the images for free because that gives the impression they are worthless. What they do is charge the charity a normal fee then donate it back if they feel inclined.

It's an interesting world . . .

I recently photographed Gunner's Day march/commemoration. Local non-profit veterans' association asked if they could see my images, and my price-list, with a view to purchasing some to show in their quarterly (non-profit) magazine. The very same day, contacted by local for-profit newspaper, asking if they could use some of my images . . . but they don't have a budget for images, so they would like them for free.

I immediately offered the non-profit the one-off use of images for their magazine for no fee.

I immediately informed the for-profit newspaper there would be a fee (not sure what yet, but a fee there will be).

Curmudgeonly? Unashamedly.

So, my question is, what fee would you ask of the newspaper?

dd

I  hardly ever sell to a newspaper because of this "free with credit attitude". Their argument is either we have a massive circulation think of the publicity, i answer if you are that big you can pay. Or the other argument they use is we are only a small cicultaion we don't have any money. My reply to that is why would I bother if you have no circulation. Whatever it is, they pay for everything else, the picture will sell the paper or they wouldn't want it, so pay for it.

I had Digital Photography magazine telling me how much they liked my pictures and could we use them for an article on aerial photography. I asked for money and never got a reply. Now why would i want to supply to an amateur rag to attract a bunch of knob heads into the industry. No doubt fuelled by the recent rush to buy drones, which in the UK are almost impossible to use commercial in areas where you can take anything saleable.

Never ever supply free images, never for a commercial enterprise, a credit at the bottom will not earn you a penny or lasting appreciation.

It's an interesting world . . .

I recently photographed Gunner's Day march/commemoration. Local non-profit veterans' association asked if they could see my images, and my price-list, with a view to purchasing some to show in their quarterly (non-profit) magazine. The very same day, contacted by local for-profit newspaper, asking if they could use some of my images . . . but they don't have a budget for images, so they would like them for free.

I immediately offered the non-profit the one-off use of images for their magazine for no fee.

I immediately informed the for-profit newspaper there would be a fee (not sure what yet, but a fee there will be).

Curmudgeonly? Unashamedly.

So, my question is, what fee would you ask of the newspaper?

dd

I  hardly ever sell to a newspaper because of this "free with credit attitude". Their argument is either we have a massive circulation think of the publicity, i answer if you are that big you can pay. Or the other argument they use is we are only a small cicultaion we don't have any money. My reply to that is why would I bother if you have no circulation. Whatever it is, they pay for everything else, the picture will sell the paper or they wouldn't want it, so pay for it.

I had Digital Photography magazine telling me how much they liked my pictures and could we use them for an article on aerial photography. I asked for money and never got a reply. Now why would i want to supply to an amateur rag to attract a bunch of knob heads into the industry. No doubt fuelled by the recent rush to buy drones, which in the UK are almost impossible to use commercial in areas where you can take anything saleable.

Never ever supply free images, never for a commercial enterprise, a credit at the bottom will not earn you a penny or lasting appreciation.

BTW, it's Rolex, you've got a stray 'l' in there.

Now why would i want to supply to an amateur rag to attract a bunch of knob heads into the industry.

Ah, that's the spirit . . .

dd

When a charity asks me to donate my work, I ask them if anyone else is donating their time.  I rarely get an answer!  A good friend who worked for a large international charity a few years ago always flew business class on international flights (from Australia)  and stayed in 5 star hotels.  Nuff said!

Sheila

Archived