Affiliate sale

geogphotos

Question

Somebody contacted me wanting an image from my website and didn't want to pay much so I referred him to Alamy. I didn't want to be taking part in a Dutch auction because he actually stated that he knew the image was on Alamy. 

When the sale appeared I emailed Alamy because this is an exclusive image and I should get 50%. The reply said that because the client came through my website Affiliate Commission has been charged - to be fair they might not have made the connection that its was my website - then again I wasn't aware that I am an Affiliate. 😜

So, simple question, how do I get my Affiliate Commission? And secondary question wouldn't it be much easier just to give me the 50% straight? 

28 January 2021 Sale 2BNBCFC Sale   41.69 1414.70 Uncleared
28 January 2021 alamy Commission 2BNBCFC 43.50% 18.14   1396.56 Uncleared
28 January 2021 Affiliate Commission 2BNBCFC 13% 5.42   1391.14 Uncleared

• Like 2

14 answers to this question

5 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Thanks. Now just need to figure out where $5.42 Affiliate commission is because it isn't showing in my account. ☹️

Perhaps they pay the commission when it reaches $50 as a separate item.🤣

Allan

23 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Somebody contacted me wanting an image from my website and didn't want to pay much so I referred him to Alamy. I didn't want to be taking part in a Dutch auction because he actually stated that he knew the image was on Alamy. 

When the sale appeared I emailed Alamy because this is an exclusive image and I should get 50%. The reply said that because the client came through my website Affiliate Commission has been charged - to be fair they might not have made the connection that its was my website - then again I wasn't aware that I am an Affiliate. 😜

So, simple question, how do I get my Affiliate Commission? And secondary question wouldn't it be much easier just to give me the 50% straight? 

...and after getting the affiliate cut you end up with 56,5% of the full price....

Think about that! 😉 

40 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

...and after getting the affiliate cut you end up with 56,5% of the full price....

Think about that! 😉 

I'm hoping that Alamy will cancel and rebook this. It's only a few £ but nonetheless. I just suggested to the buyer that he go straight to Alamy. 

18 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I'm hoping that Alamy will cancel and rebook this. It's only a few £ but nonetheless. I just suggested to the buyer that he go straight to Alamy. 

Yes, I see.

I just tried to put some positivism to lift our spirits 🙂

I don't remember but don't have any Alamy banners or links on my site ( as far as I know - maybe I put some code in somewhere and forgot). I thought that the scheme was for affiliates to earn a percentage from other people's images who click through to Alamy from their website. I didn't imagine that telling somebody by email to buy one of my pics through Alamy would be treated as an Affiliate scale costing me a few quid!

Hopefully I'll hear back from Alamy this week.

Edited by geogphotos

Just had the solution from Alamy. The buyer must have clicked through to Alamy from a site called XXXXXX which offers discounts on all sorts of products and services. So that original contact with Alamy rather than my referral of the buyer is what is counted. 

Looking back I should have accepted the £20 that was offered and kept all of it! 

You live and learn. 

Edited by geogphotos

So you lose out to XXXXX. Then we will all lose out to XXXX but Alamy does not.

Why did Alamy sign up to this in the first place it is not fair on the contributors to introduce these discount schemes if alamy is not paying for their share of the discount.

I have not seen mention of a contract with XXXX either. Added without our knowledge.

You live and fight on.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

Allan,

I've edited my post to remove the name of the website........don't want everybody to know how to get a slice of our commission! 

Could you please do the same with your mention of XXXXX ?

Cheers

Ian

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1

On 08/02/2021 at 10:12, Allan Bell said:

So you lose out to XXXXX. Then we will all lose out to XXXX but Alamy does not.

Why did Alamy sign up to this in the first place it is not fair on the contributors to introduce these discount schemes if alamy is not paying for their share of the discount.

Alamy got less from the sale via the affiliate scheme.. notice from the figures that Ian posted that Alamy took 43.5% of the sale price rather than 50%.

The affiliate scheme is nothing new.. it's been around for a good few years now and if you scroll to the bottom of your contributor dashboard or Alamy's main landing page, you will see a link labeled 'Become an affiliate' which links here https://www.alamy.com/customer/help/affiliate-program.aspx

This XXXXX company is just one company that has decided to take advantage of this. What Alamy presumably get is increased traffic to their site and so hopefully increased sales. Ian is just unfortunate that his buyer happened to click on one of these affiliate links from a different site rather than going directly to alamy.com.

On 29/01/2021 at 19:24, geogphotos said:

Coincidentally, I was thinking about this question when I saw your post. The following sale came through a couple of days ago:

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use
Start: 23 February 2021
End: 23 February 2026

$ 15.99

23 February 2021 alamy Commission 2E2RP88 43.50% 6.96

23 February 2021 Affiliate Commission 2E2RP88 13% 2.08

...which leaves 6.95 for me, as opposed to eight bucks if there were no affiliate.

I hadn't thought of joining the Affiliate program, although I do refer to Alamy for my own images. If I had done so and the sale had come through that, then the total would have been nine bucks instead of eight. Alamy loses a buck either way, so they must think that overall sales are increased by encouraging what looks to me rather like scalping.

edit: P.S., the photo that sold was an old slide that I digitized and uploaded to Alamy six weeks ago. One place I do see it is Google Images, where a little flag pops up indicating that it is “licensable.”

Edited by DDoug