Variations of the same image

JustinWyllie

Question

I have an image of an unusual power station. In fact I have 3 images of the same power station shot from different angles, though they all show the same distinctive (striped) tower. I am wondering if I should regard these as duplicates and only submit one - or is it ok to submit the same subject with 3 different compositions? 

5 answers to this question

By the sounds of it, submit all three.

Different angles, landscape format & portrait format, long shot & wide shot, they will be all okay.

Also different weather conditions of the same scene I'd say are okay too.

Just don't make the same photograph from the same spot, with only minor variations.

It'll hurt your Alamy ranking, and annoy customers.

But whatever you do, always edit. Then edit again !

• Love 1
  • Like 2

This might not be 100% kosher. However, if you're paranoid about failing due to "too many similars" -- which most likely wouldn't happen -- you can always upload the images in two batches -- e.g.  include two in one submission, then the third in another batch. It's of course not a good idea to upload a lot of similars as this can hurt your CTR and create useless clutter.

• Love 1

if you think each view adds something, it makes sense to upload them especially for a specific subject. 

Different angles, different light, seasons etc.

My usual rule of thumb  is "Can I write a different caption for each image?" 

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Love 1

I think the advice for landscape, portrait, distance, or closeup works.  What is different about each of the shot?   Include people for scale?  The warning about too many similars is that a less good shot might show up in the early search pages and your better shots may not even be seen.  

• Love 1