This is not Margate

geogphotos

6 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Bottom pic is the Old Bridge House in Ambleside, Cumbria (and it's still there)...

Yes thanks. I spotted the distinctive church tower first, then assuming they were from the same trip managed to find the Bridge House. 

Look at the unmade muddy roads!

I00000F1R_7THkt8.jpg

Tiny little cottages but the people sitting outside are well-dressed and prosperous looking. An early type of holiday cottage maybe? That is a steep hill in the background. Thatched roofs makes me think of southern England ( chalk area?). 

Very dirty and not on the outside glass but probably mould inside, so only worth bothering if a known location or somewhere noteworthy.

I0000qVqZuzH6cQw.jpg

Any ideas?

Edited by geogphotos

Sorry can't help. I did go on Google Maps and put in the search (churches in the lake district), assuming that it might have been the lake district. Google threw up a load of churches on it's site but non seemed to match the spire in your first image. You could try North Wales though.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

9 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry can't help. I did go on Google Maps and put in the search (churches in the lake district), assuming that it might have been the lake district. Google threw up a load of churches on it's site but non seemed to match the spire in your first image. You could try North Wales though.

Allan

Thanks Allan, I got that one . It's Ambleside.

Just the thatched row of cottages I'm stuck on now. Impossible I fear. 

1 hour ago, Mr Standfast said:

Are the women in nurses uniforms?

Some sort of post WW1 rehabilitation camp?

Fascinating!

I think it was taken c 1900 though it could be later I suppose.

I wonder if the thatch might be some sort of pretence to make them look more 'olde worldie'. If it's the Lakes you'd expect slate or stone roofs.

There must have been a reason why the photo was taken - where they stayed on holiday, a place to show others that they have seen.

Quite a few people sitting leisurely outside as though having drinks before going to dinner - and on chairs not rough rural benches. They don't look like poor people - on the contrary very well dressed.

Artistic types - poetry, painting?

I0000eMn__GPzrF0.jpg

Edited by geogphotos

hangstrawATthatchinginfo.com

Hi Ian

Thanks for sending the image.

A larger one would be better...  But this is scene could be anywhere from Lancashire northwards. If pushed I would go for South West Scotland although similar rows existed in Etal in Northumberland and still survive in Southport, Lancs.

Edited by geogphotos

18 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Tiny little cottages but the people sitting outside are well-dressed

When the population found out that a photographer was coming to their village they would dress up in their best bib and tucker for the photos. I think sometimes the photographer would request it in advance of his arrival.

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

When the population found out that a photographer was coming to their village they would dress up in their best bib and tucker for the photos. I think sometimes the photographer would request it in advance of his arrival.

Allan

Could be, but they have their back to the photographer. He is looking at them not the other way around. I still have a hunch that this is the Lakes  because I can't think of anywhere obvious that would be attracting tourists and converting workers' houses to accommodate them.

Edited by geogphotos

20 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I still have a hunch that this is the Larked because I can't think of anywhere obvious that would be attracting tourists and converting workers' houses to accommodate them.

There isn't a widespread tradition of thatching in Cumbria, though this might offer some clues...

Thanks for the help.

What I was thinking is that these one-storey cottages probably pre-date the slate and stone tile industries.

There are similar examples still in existence such as at Rait, Perthshire

Alamy Image ID: HJDYTN

Perhaps I'll try the Ambleside museum.

Edited by geogphotos