Critique please.

Liz Smith

One thing is that most of us don't sell until we have more images up.  The other thing is a lot of us cat owners could thin the cat photos down to cats doing something and make sure the what the cat is doing is in the caption and keywords (me, too).   I've found that an animal or person doing something is more engaging that static portraits.  Two recent sales posted to the sales in September thread were of one fish tending developing eggs and another was of a cleaner fish working on a much larger fish.

• Thanks 1

Hi Liz,

"No comments" - sometimes people take time to reply to posts :)

+1 to what MizBrown says. If you put cat in as a search term, you get over 1 million results. A cat doing something in a picture is much more likely to sell.

Captions are searchable - yours are really short. You've got 'Wildflowers' as a caption - over 200,000 search results just on Alamy (plus more on other agencies). You could add the season. Where is it, which country? Try to think more commercially, why would someone purchase YOUR picture of wildflowers, what are you illustrating?  Why would a client buy any picture of wildflowers, what would they use it for? Your photos should illustrate a concept or story, particular species or an identifiable location. E.g. (totally just making this up) 'Farmer growing wildflowers in a fallow field as part of crop rotation and nitrogen fixation to meet EU law xxx, Hampshire, England'.

Keep a look out in magazines, books, newspapers and online for stock photos to get some ideas. Most online newspaper articles use a photo to illustrate the story - most are stock photos.

Steve

Edited by Steve F
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MizBrown said:

One thing is that most of us don't sell until we have more images up.  The other thing is a lot of us cat owners could thin the cat photos down to cats doing something and make sure the what the cat is doing is in the caption and keywords (me, too).   I've found that an animal or person doing something is more engaging that static portraits.  Two recent sales posted to the sales in September thread were of one fish tending developing eggs and another was of a cleaner fish working on a much larger fish.

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it and will take it on board. Thank you x

3 hours ago, Steve F said:

Hi Liz,

"No comments" - sometimes people take time to reply to posts :)

+1 to what MizBrown says. If you put cat in as a search term, you get over 1 million results. A cat doing something in a picture is much more likely to sell.

Captions are searchable - yours are really short. You've got 'Wildflowers' as a caption - over 200,000 search results just on Alamy (plus more on other agencies). You could add the season. Where is it, which country? Try to think more commercially, why would someone purchase YOUR picture of wildflowers, what are you illustrating?  Why would a client buy any picture of wildflowers, what would they use it for? Your photos should illustrate a concept or story, particular species or an identifiable location. E.g. (totally just making this up) 'Farmer growing wildflowers in a fallow field as part of crop rotation and nitrogen fixation to meet EU law xxx, Hampshire, England'.

Keep a look out in magazines, books, newspapers and online for stock photos to get some ideas. Most online newspaper articles use a photo to illustrate the story - most are stock photos.

Steve

Thank you so much for the advice. Yes sorry I think I was a bit impatient! I will definitely take your comments on board and make changes. Thank you. 

17 hours ago, Liz Smith said:

A lot of views but no comments. Hope I wasn't rude in how I asked. Am able to take constructive crisitism, hoping to improve x

You mean views of your images? Our views are not counted. Only views from known clients are being counted.

However you can learn from these stats. See this 2018 thread where we have discussed something very much similar.

wim

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

Where can I see those?

wim

Hi Wim, when you click on one of the main forum headings, like 'Portfolio Critique', you can see each thread. At the right hand side of each thread it shows the last person that posted in the  thread and the total number of views the thread has.

S

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Steve F said:

Hi Wim, when you click on one of the main forum headings, like 'Portfolio Critique', you can see each thread. At the right hand side of each thread it shows the last person that posted in the  thread and the total number of views the thread has.

S

Thank you! I never get to see that page, I have a button (actually a link) for Unread Content. I never see all the subdivisions of the forum either.

These numbers seem quite useful.

wim

• Love 1

On 17/09/2020 at 12:33, Steve F said:

S

doing some test, and i am not sure i would trust the counter views, except for an idea of magnitude .  The numbers are quite erratic in movement.  I remember years ago a forum where curiously Number of views were always a multiple of 9, and we did manage to assess counter counted 9 for every visit, just to make it look busier.   Not seeing patterns here so far,,,