Macbook antivirus help.

36 minutes ago, Joe said:

I have a new Macbook Pro. I know there are a lot of Mac users here. Is there a best/go to antivirus for Macs?

Thanks

Joe

The main security threats on Mac are from malware. The jury remains out on whether it is necessary to use any malware or anti-virus programs. Here is a recent article from Macworld magazine which is always a great resource on this sort of thing. 

• Love 1

27 minutes ago, MDM said:

The main security threats on Mac are from malware. The jury remains out on whether it is necessary to use any malware or anti-virus programs. Here is a recent article from Macworld magazine which is always a great resource on this sort of thing. 

Thanks, MDM. 

... I should have said I'll read the article when I can connect. WIFI really slow at times on new MacBook Pro! Much slower

than my old, creaking dell laptop.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

... I should have said I'll read the article when I can connect. WIFI really slow at times on new MacBook Pro! Much slower

That is odd. It should definitely not be slower than an old laptop. I wonder if it is trying to download OS or app updates in the background.

Have you got a phone with 3G or 4G? The article is well worth reading for peace of mind and knowing what to do - main thing is to keep the OS up to date (difficult if you have not got a good internet connection), password protect your login, avoid insecure public wifi, be careful what websites you visit and be on the alert for phishing emails of which there are a lot at the moment I believe. 

5 hours ago, Joe said:

If you have a dual band router, try setting up  a 5GHz channel with a different name and connect that instead. My Macbook pro suffers some sort of interference problem with 2.5GHz WiFi giving really poor connection speeds, but is fine on 5GHz.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman