Greek to me

Not really much of a picture but it has got me intrigued.

I've uploaded to Google Images 1) the whole image and then 2) a tight crop off the artwork on the wall. But no luck.

That looks like chalk or some type of limestone. 

Is the language Greek? The setting could be.

I00008vdnvWFtCwM.jpg

I0000U9Rr9XPbndc.jpg

It is Greek, rather Cubist though. The transcription I think is DIOIISOPOLIS, which means not very much- polis is city and dioiis might be dios, Zeus, in which case it looks like  Diospolis, city of Zeus or Thebes in Egypt- the figures do look Egyptian, again in a Cubist style.

10 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

The writing certainly looks Greek. However, there are some odd letters in the mix.

Yes I'm concerned about the transcription, (too many Etas) except for "opolis" at the end. So it's (something) city.

Edited by spacecadet

That looks like the front of a 1950's (?) American-made pickup truck on the left side of the frame. If the setting is somewhere in the USA, then that might explain the unorthodox lettering. Do the people sitting out front look Mediterranean?

16 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

That looks like the front of a 1950's (?) American-made pickup truck on the left side of the frame. If the setting is somewhere in the USA, then that might explain the unorthodox lettering. Do the people sitting out front look Mediterranean?

I'd say so.

I0000COCrFUlNQFM.jpg

I should have said that the pics from this photographer are in an almighty muddle but the only ones  I have been able to locate so far are from Kos and Kalymnos. 

Edited by geogphotos

Just had a new thought. If the fourth character is nu  (Ν) and not eta (Η), it could be DIONISOPOLIS. Balchik in Bulgaria. The Cyrillic alphabet is quite like Greek because St Cyril was Greek.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysupolis

The Bulgarians have tried to be a bit Greek and made the letters a bit similar.

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I should have said that the pics from this photographer are in an almighty muddle but the only ones I have been able to locate so far are from Kos and Kalymnos. 

Bulgaria's a bit of a stretch then.

The alternative Dionysopolises are in Turkey and Afghanistan.

I daresay American trucks got around a bit.

Edited by spacecadet

16 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Nearest I get is round the back of here

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4102262,28.1603796,3a,75y,328.96h,92.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgCG65_NlO5zWhbCdjw5Hkw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

the cladding is right but the cliff isn't really.

Well done Mark! 

8 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

The cliffs did it.

wim

You need to share the prize with Mark . Well done both of you.🍺🍺

I don't see the same building on Alamy. 

It looks from Wim's link that all those old men have been cleared away from 'wasting their time' sitting around on benches.

Edited by geogphotos

3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Crumbs. I missed that cliff. Well at least we put you on the scent of it.

Had mine on credit last night, thanks Ian. 2014 Rioja. After a couple of G&Ts.🍷🍸

You did very well working out that it was in Bulgaria so you deserved those drinks!

Thanks😄