Sensor Cleaning

tend to just use a rocket blower for dust, and if its a stubborn stain or something I just dab on a bit iso alchohol and polish it off gently after a wipe.

the sensor itself is protected by a robust enough filter, so not that scared of cleaning it.

Only thing I am wary of is accidently knocking or damaging any moving parts/the mirror etc.

• 4 months later...

I wonder, am I seeing spots on my images that don't exist? I sent an email to the Visible Dust people recently about the state of my sensor after using their products with the attached image and they tell me

"I don't see any problem except a few dust which might have fallen after cleaning. Your sensor looks clean but if you have dust falling on the sensor after cleaning this is something not related ."

:o

Image below is a 100% crop

_MG_4373a.jpg

I've never had anything that bad, never more than 3 or 4 specks, but my technique with my A350 and Digipads was a single firm wipe across, followed by a retest.

One or at most two got everything off. The pad was the full height of the sensor.

Unfortunately (or not) I dropped the 350 and the SLT replacement doesn't have any dust, so no recent experience.

sadly mine wasn't anything like that bad when I started trying to clean it. Its far better than in the photo now, but still not as good as it was before cleaning. I was just amazed at their reply, their customer support seems somewhat lacking. Digipads for me from now now on!

My procedure was:

Check for dust

Cleaning mode- aperture down

4blasts with rocket blower

Single wet wipe in one direction

Recheck

Repeat as necessary

Check mirror box with shutter closed, a couple more blasts.

I could get rid of every single speck in no more than 2 wet wipes.

I also found that I could re-use digipads  with no problems.

my procedure with the Visible Dust products was pretty much the same. Although I have now used so much of their product trying to correct that initial problem that I could have had 2 cleans at Calumet for the price. If I could rid every speck with no more than two wipes I would be very happy :)

I am figuring a lot of those spots are left from an excess of sensor cleaning solution. The tiny glass bottles that the solution comes in seem badly designed to allow just a small amount of liquid out. I read some instructions that said use two drops of the liquid . Try getting two drops out of a tiny glass vial with an opening so small the liquid will not simply drop through.

You're right, they do look more like drying marks than dust. being all the same size.

Looks like your first job with Digipads will be wiping them off.

Visible Dust's stuff looks a bit over-engineered to me. Digipads supply Eclipse fluid in a little squeeze bottle which dispenses easily onto a pad which is just a bit of PEC pad tied to a flexible spatula of the appropriate size.

Edit- looks like they use a glass bottle now. Oh dear.

I used to use "Visible Dust" liquid products and always ended up with drying or "water" marks. It then took a lot of time trying to polish them off.

Don't use anything now since moving to CSC.

Allan

From experience, I prefer Visible Dust. Someone once recommended Eclipse but they were awful and put loads of cr@p on the sensor.

With Visible Dust the trick is to put a couple of drops on the swab and let it soak in for at least 15 seconds. Only then start the cleaning. I found that if you go for it straight away then you will end up with more spots.

With regards to the Butterfly. You have to be very careful with this as it can catch the edges and draw off the lubricate that is present near to the sensor onto thr sensor. It annoyed me so I sold on Ebay.

Last time I cleaned my sensor, many months ago, I picked off the blower resistant dust individually with a fine soft polymer tipped "pen". Don't have it to hand but I think it is SensorPen or some such name. It has a fine angled tip which lifts the dust off - need an illuminated magnifier for ease of use. Obviously only picks up dry dust not grease spots or the like.

Will be a little easier on my mirrorless Fuji X cameras as the sensor is not so deep into the body.

Archived