Affinity Photo 1.8 update - now with metadata editing

New update, details here:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/1-8/

"New support in Affinity Photo for user-editable fields in image metadata, including the IPTC standard for copyright and other information. Plus, save and import metadata files (XMP), batch whole folders of images and tag with appropriate ownership info, and more."

Much less welcome is a new 'Stock' panel in Photo & Designer giving direct access to '850,000 free high-resolution images...."  supplied by a company whose name I can't bring myself to mention.

Pretty fed up with Affinity for doing that actually.

Edited by Harry Harrison

On 27/02/2020 at 13:13, Harry Harrison said:

New update, details here:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/1-8/

"New support in Affinity Photo for user-editable fields in image metadata, including the IPTC standard for copyright and other information. Plus, save and import metadata files (XMP), batch whole folders of images and tag with appropriate ownership info, and more."

Much less welcome is a new 'Stock' panel in Photo & Designer giving direct access to '850,000 free high-resolution images...."  supplied by a company whose name I can't bring myself to mention.

Pretty fed up with Affinity for doing that actually.

From your post I gather you use Affinity Photo? If so do you use the IOS version? I only ask as I'm considering using it on my iPad Air 2 for basic quick edits and maybe downsizing with the soon to be with me RX100. The only issue that puts me off is reading that with earlier versions Affinity expected you to load RAW images from a cloud source. I would want to load from the iPad. Anyone know about this before I check with Serif?

Edited by sb photos

24 minutes ago, sb photos said:

From your post I gather you use Affinity Photo? If so do you use the IOS version? I only ask as I'm considering using it on my iPad Air 2 for basic quick edits and maybe downsizing with the soon to be with me RX100. The only issue that puts me off is reading that with earlier versions Affinity expected you to load RAW images from a cloud source. I would want to load from the iPad. Anyone know about this before I check with Serif?

I don't use it but that sounds extraordinarily unlikely moreover given that Apple have made the iPad iOS a lot more computer-like. Do you mean that images have to be ingested into the iPad from a cloud source to be used in the Affinity mobile app?  That doesn't really make sense, as the main idea of working on a mobile device is to be able to use it in the field directly from a camera or card. Affinity would be severely handicapping their mobile app if the images had to come from the cloud.

In fact, it has recently become possible to ingest images directly from a card or camera into Lightroom Mobile, bypassing  the Photos app, so editing on an iPad is becoming more computer-like all the time. There is now a very well-specified version of Photoshop for iPad as well. 

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

From your post I gather you use Affinity Photo?

No, I own the Windows version and I rarely use it, certainly not enough to get to grips with it. That bit about images needing to being ingested from a cloud source doesn't ring any bells for me so I don't think it can be true, but then I don't have an Ipad either. I have heard that the implementation of their suite of products is very good on the Ipad though, at least Affinity retweet comments to that effect. Best to try the trial version I would think. Certainly it's good that they now permit the viewing and editing of IPTC though I think it is on an image by image basis so not necessarily very sophisticated, it's a start though.

13 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

No, I own the Windows version and I rarely use it, certainly not enough to get to grips with it. That bit about images needing to being ingested from a cloud source doesn't ring any bells for me so I don't think it can be true, but then I don't have an Ipad either. I have heard that the implementation of their suite of products is very good on the Ipad though, at least Affinity retweet comments to that effect. Best to try the trial version I would think. Certainly it's good that they now permit the viewing and editing of IPTC though I think it is on an image by image basis so not necessarily very sophisticated, it's a start though.

I read a forum post from 2017 elsewhere that mentioned having to import from the cloud, and a 2019 post on Serif's forum by a Serif moderator "You would need an SD Card Adaptor for this BUT as you've already read, the Photos app opens up and imports the images into Photos.  I'm not aware of a way to disable this and i don't think the SD card lightning adaptor would show in the Files app to allow you to open images directly from the SD card in Affinity." Perhaps it is possible now under IOS 13, 12 was current when this was written. At that time you would have had to import into Apple's Photos first, yuk. BTW, there's no trial for the IOS version, but I might lash out the £19 to try. I was looking for an IOS based RAW editor, quick and easy to use, that would allow me to apply a caption and IPTC data then FTP via another Application. I may end up sticking with my 11" MacBook Air that I'm familiar with.

AHEM  am I being ignored? 🤣

As I said above the latest iOS is very different to previous versions. One does not need to have Affinity to understand the principles. Image files, including raws from my RX100 VA on an SD card, can be viewed in the Files app and then opened in other applications. Shuttersnitch might be more suitable for your purposes in fact. Enough  said 🤣

Edited by MDM

37 minutes ago, MDM said:

AHEM  am I being ignored? 🤣

As I said above the latest iOS is very different to previous versions. One does not need to have Affinity to understand the principles. Image files, including raws from my RX100 VA on an SD card, can be viewed in the Files app and then opened in other applications. Shuttersnitch might be more suitable for your purposes in fact. Enough  said 🤣

Not ignoring you, simply immersed in the Serif forums. The more I read the more I go off of Affinity Photo. As my iPad so far gets very little use I only last night upgraded from IOS 12.x to 13.x, it's certainly an improvement. Will re investigate Shuttersnitch. 

The latest iOS is a whole new experience. If your intended use is for news, then Shuttersnitch would seem to be an all in one solution from the iPad as it does the FTP bit as well as  basic editing and has very good metadata facilities. I haven't used it for news myself but I decided to learn how to do it in case I needed to. However, I would have no hesitation using my Pad (mine is a 2017 pro) rather than a MacBookPro or Air for this if I had to now as it is very light and very fast. 

Julie Edwards has some interesting blog posts about Shuttersnitch and iPads. 

Edited by MDM

20 hours ago, sb photos said:

BTW, there's no trial for the IOS version, but I might lash out the £19 to try

Sorry, I didn't realise that. I think it's worth keeping an eye on Affinity Photo, Serif have only been doing this new integrated suite of programs (Photo, Designer, Publisher} for a relatively short time and they do seem to come out with frequent updates as a response to requests from their target market, the IPTC editing is an example of that. The software is very cheap and the updates are free so they're doing pretty well so far. I don't like the link up with Unxxxash though.

Edited by Harry Harrison

I have Affinity Designer and Publisher. Love both of them.  I have considered getting Affinity Photo a number of times, but figure until they come up with a comparable tool such as the Adjustment Brush in Lightroom and ACR, I can't switch from PS.

Jill

I wonder how many serious photographers do much editing on a mobile device. I downloaded the new mobile Photoshop which is very well endowed with features just out of curiosity but there is no way I am going to to actually use it. Even if I connected my iPad to a big monitor, it involves learning a whole new concept in editing and I am more than happy with what I have. For mobile devices I think the needs of the serious photographer are likely to be quite basic: raw development, basic adjustments, some local adjustments and good metadata. In fact Lightroom mobile is almost there except for limited metadata. ShutterSnitch has most of what is needed I think. Affinity might want to be thinking along these lines if aiming at a pro or semi-pro market rather than a heavyweight equivalent  of mobile Photoshop. 

Edited by MDM

I don't have an Iphone but it seems that the sister library exclusively for users of those (the one we're not allowed to discuss) requires you to do everything on the phone, processing and keywording presumably, which seems on the face of it like a limitation. Still, we're not allowed to discuss that. 

6 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I don't have an Iphone but it seems that the sister library exclusively for users of those (the one we're not allowed to discuss) requires you to do everything on the phone, processing and keywording presumably, which seems on the face of it like a limitation. Still, we're not allowed to discuss that. 

That is different from the present discussion which is really about shooting with a camera and processing on a tablet. And what you say is not quite accurate as it requires upload by an iPhone only app but then we are not allowed to talk about it so let's not 😀.

2 minutes ago, MDM said:

And what you say is not quite accurate

Happy to be corrected. I can't imagine why we can't discuss it, many on here supply to both and our pictures compete on the same platform. Still I am absolutely not about to discuss it here!

11 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Happy to be corrected.

It is a common misconception although I think it was the intention if you know what I mean.

Edited by MDM

On 04/03/2020 at 07:59, Jill Morgan said:

I have considered getting Affinity Photo a number of times, but figure until they come up with a comparable tool such as the Adjustment Brush in Lightroom and ACR, I can't switch from PS.

In addition Affinity Photo needs to come up with an equivalent to Lightroom's copy and pasting of selectable "Develop" settings from one image to additional images.  That feature is too much of a time saver to do without in many cases.