Laura Whitmore and photography

There is a tweet from Laura Whitmore, who is, I understand, some minor celebrity on Love Island. It is a complaint and a video of a confrontation with a photographer at a (South African ) airport who was taking photographs.  Ms Whitmore complained she was mourning the death of her friend Caroline Flack.  In the comments there is a bit of an outpouring of vile against photographers including suggestions of physical violence.  

I do understand the issue of mourning and this is specifically mentioned in the Editors code.  I would certainly not, knowingly, intrude. 

In the comments it is pointed out that a couple of days before she had been photographed partying at the Brits.  

I generally don’t photograph TV celebs, mainly because I don’t know who they are.  But, I do take the view (and is the legal standpoint) that if someone is in a public place there is no expectation of privacy.  My view is that if you make your fame/money in the public view then there is the cost of public recognition/interest.  Those of us in the business are aware of show business agents tipping off togs about celeb visits to restaurants, clubs etc.  I may be wrong but there is something about the cake and eat it situation.  

it was also noted that paps only take photos that sell and if there wasn’t a demand the photos would not be taken.  The videoing of the photographer and the subsequent suggestions as to his future is, one could argue, just as bad....

Every photographer has their limits and the vast majority of us know how to behave.  Threats, naming and shaming helps no one and will undoubtedly make all our professional lives more difficult.  

Edited by IanDavidson
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Both sides of this one appear to have been less than diplomatic based on her video, but if she had been less aggressive and condescending about telling the photographer to stop and if the boyfriend had quit videoing when he walked away, that might have been that..  She was landing in Cape Town, South Africa where the show is being filmed in the future.    I wondered if this was staged for PR purposes, but maybe I'm too old and cynical.   The series has been made for streaming release, looks like, so how popular is it?

Edited by MizBrown
ciarity
  • Like 1

ok so she was mourning the death of a friend who was abused on social media to the point of taking her own life, and her was of handling it is to make sure the photographer is abused on social media?  

i am not excusing him, and i wouldn't take picture of celebrities at a non event, but she could have done the same without posting the video.

Edited by meanderingemu

22 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

ok so she was mourning the death of a friend who was abused on social media to the point of taking her own life, and her was of handling it is to make sure the photographer is abused on social media?  

i am not excusing him, and i wouldn't take picture of celebrities at a non event, but she could have done the same without posting the video.

Caroline Flack was accused of assaulting her boyfriend.   She plead not guilty, and was released on bail.  Boyfriend now claims she was going to change her plea.

Except for Flack's boyfriend, the other two people most outraged are connected with the show.  Googling Caroline Flack is kinda interesting. 

Edited by MizBrown