College Green, UK Parliament proposed closure to media

For those of you who don’t know, College Green is a small green area across from the Houses of Parliament in London.  It is occasionally used as a “media village” during times of political drama.  It is actually owned by the Parliamentary Estate and under control of Black Rod and the Speaker.

This is a major photo spot for us freelancers with press cards.  It puts us on the same footing as the BBC, PA etc in terms of access. I have had published photos of politicians taken  there (and Photographed Brian May there last week).  

The Speaker is proposing to stop the media using this area because of the disruption by protesters.  This would block us from getting photos and once more give advantage to PA, Reuters etc who have access to the Houses of Parliament.  

I will be writing to the Speaker and my MP to protest and would urge Alamy and individual contributors to do the same.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

For those of you who don’t know, College Green is a small green area across from the Houses of Parliament in London.  It is occasionally used as a “media village” during times of political drama.  It is actually owned by the Parliamentary Estate and under control of Black Rod and the Speaker.

This is a major photo spot for us freelancers with press cards.  It puts us on the same footing as the BBC, PA etc in terms of access. I have had published photos of politicians taken  there (and Photographed Brian May there last week).  

The Speaker is proposing to stop the media using this area because of the disruption by protesters.  This would block us from getting photos and once more give advantage to PA, Reuters etc who have access to the Houses of Parliament.  

I will be writing to the Speaker and my MP to protest and would urge Alamy and individual contributors to do the same.

Hope you are successful. I hope you don't mind me pointing out that in quite a few of your pics you have misnamed Theresa Villiers, former NI Secretary of State, as Theresa Vickers. 😉  

Edited by Futterwithtrees
Typo
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Futterwithtrees said:

Hope you are successful. I hope you don't mind me pointing out that in quite a few of your pics you have misnamed Theresa Villiers, former NI Secretary of State, as Theresa Vickers. 😉  

Thanks for the spot, corrected.  
I suspect my protests about College Green  will be unsuccessful.  It will be a big loss.

2 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

Thanks for the spot, corrected.  
I suspect my protests about College Green  will be unsuccessful.  It will be a big loss.

What about involving NUJ, AOP, any other journalistic organisations?

Phil

So are you saying that all media will no longer be allowed to broadcast (TV and radio channels), or just freelance/NUJ photographers?

I've just had our local fox come in the garden to sniff and deposit its scat somewhere. Not trying to make any comments or comparison with us photographers sniffing and depositing everywhere, although it does remind me of the urban wildlife and both our shrinking habitats and hunting grounds.

Edited by Richard Baker

Thanks for letting us know. I'll write to the NUJ as well when I'm back. Only been on the Green a couple of times, but you never know who you will encounter there. Caught a chance meeting between Alistair Campbell & Andrew Bridgen last time. They didn't have much to say to each other...😊