Not your average wedding pics....

Vincent Lowe

Volcanoes get a bad press. The average annual global death toll as a direct result of volcanic activity is absolutely minute in comparison to deaths from traffic accidents or gun crime. People live in, on and near volcanoes safely around the world and generally continue to be safe if they follow directions from the authorities responsible for volcano monitoring.

The occasional disaster happens. In the case of White Island, it seems that those responsible for bringing tourists to the island ignored the volcanology as the threat level had been raised well before the disaster. 

There are no volcanoes in Britain but there are on British Dependent Territory (Montserrat). 19 people died in the Soufriere Hills Montserrat eruption in 1997, mostly because they refused to evacuate the danger zone. The last eruption in the USA that led to fatalities was Mount St Helens in 1980 when 59 people died. Compare that to deaths from gun and knife crime. 

9 minutes ago, MDM said:

Volcanoes get a bad press. The average annual global death toll as a direct result of volcanic activity is absolutely minute in comparison to deaths from traffic accidents or gun crime. People live in, on and near volcanoes safely around the world and generally continue to be safe if they follow directions from the authorities responsible for volcano monitoring.

The occasional disaster happens. In the case of White Island, it seems that those responsible for bringing tourists to the island ignored the volcanology as the threat level had been raised well before the disaster. 

There are no volcanoes in Britain but there are on British Dependent Territory (Montserrat). 19 people died in the Soufriere Hills Montserrat eruption in 1997, mostly because they refused to evacuate the danger zone. The last eruption in the USA that led to fatalities was Mount St Helens in 1980 when 59 people died. Compare that to deaths from gun and knife crime. 

Thanks for the information Mick.

I was leaning more to the, "there's more on the news, does that indicate an increase in activity"?

Allan

13 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks for the information Mick.

I was leaning more to the, "there's more on the news, does that indicate an increase in activity"?

Allan

No it's random. Activity that affects people, especially in western society and associated regions (New Zealand) gets the most coverage. 

17 minutes ago, MDM said:

No it's random. Activity that affects people, especially in western society and associated regions (New Zealand) gets the most coverage. 

So the world is not going to explode in the next few days?😃

Allan

19 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Shame! ... the idea sounded quite exciting and I'm sure there would have been some good opportunities for taking stock photos! 🙂

Edited by Matt Ashmore

33 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Not all at once in any case. I might though. I'm going to have a bean burger for lunch but you should be safe enough as it will take time to digest. 😀