Do I need to check Sell for Editorial Only?

AlexG

Question

I am curious whether I need to check the box Sell for Editorial Only if I don't have model/property releases or if that's already automatically determined. Let's say I have a photo of a person and I do not have a model release. I already check there is 1 person in the photo and select no model releases. Do I need to also check the editorial button, or does it become optional at this point?

Does checking it help customers looking for editorial only find it easier?

Put simply, is there any benefit for me to check that box if I don't have releases?

Thanks for the time to look and provide advice.

7 answers to this question

You don't have to check the editorial use only box. It's your call. I don't bother checking it unless the image happens to be one that I definitely don't want to be licensed for commercial use. Offering images for editorial use only can decrease sales possibilities. Also, I doubt that buyers search for editorial only images.

• Love 3

2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

You don't have to check the editorial use only box. It's your call. I don't bother checking it unless the image happens to be one that I definitely don't want to be licensed for commercial use. Offering images for editorial use only can decrease sales possibilities. Also, I doubt that buyers search for editorial only images.

Great advice, thank you. That's what I thought, but I've been uncertain all this time.

Cheers!

I have never checked the "Editorial Only" box, but 99% of the images I have available on Alamy would be "Editorial Only."

If you have model, property releases then they are open for license, if not they are "Editorial Only."  Pretty simple.

Chuck

39 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

the clear exception is if the image is of work of art (broad Alamy definition) as those by Alamy guidelines should be noted as "for editorial only".  

Read this blog post:

https://www.alamy.com/blog/the-low-down-on-street-art

4 hours ago, Niels Quist said:

Meanderingemu, this was solely meant as a further emphasis of what you already wrote about adding 'Editorial Only'.

Edited by Niels Quist
  • Like 1