Total CTR vs Average CTR

meanderingemu

Question

I know this is probably theoretical but which one would likely be used in ranking?

Note: the difference only arise if you have multiple Pseudonyms.  Total CTR is based on Total Zoom/Total Hits.  Average calculates individual CTR per Pseudonym, and then does a linear average of each (non weighted), so if you have one that has small weight but majorly divergent it can make a big difference.  

Extreme example:

Pseudo 1    100Z/10000V    1.00 CTR

Pseudo 2     0Z/100V             0.00 CTR

Total CTR   0.99

Average CTR  0.50 

(the opposite can be created by putting all most likely zoomed in smaller Pseudo)

Edited by meanderingemu

8 answers to this question

2 hours ago, hdh said:

Also I have not been too active in general for a prolonged period and my sales dropped drastically, which changed when I became active again. 

Hence activity may play a role in ranking, but who knows, ranking is some black art we will never get an insight into.  

I’m a firm believer in uploading something every week, if possible. If you are going to be busy with other things, and have a folder to upload, ready to go, dribble a few out every week until you can get back to working harder. 
I don’t always follow my own advice, but when I do, I can tell a difference.

Betty

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

I believe for ranking, the individual CTRs of the pseudonyms count, not sure if total or average CTR plays a role at all. 

For each pseudonym I have a BHZ images which appear in the search in the order of their individual CTR, but one. 

The outlier is the news psudonym, that has not been active for two or so years. 

Also I have not been too active in general for a prolonged period and my sales dropped drastically, which changed when I became active again. 

Hence activity may play a role in ranking, but who knows, ranking is some black art we will never get an insight into.  

• Love 1

13 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m a firm believer in uploading something every week, if possible. If you are going to be busy with other things, and have a folder to upload, ready to go, dribble a few out every week until you can get back to working harder. 
I don’t always follow my own advice, but when I do, I can tell a difference.

Betty

thanks Betty, a very worthwhile advice to follow. 

11 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I agree with the premise that to keep your port to the front you/we need to upload on a regular basis.

Allan

I was told by Alamy that some (but not all) searches can give priority to more recent images. Other than that I've seen no evidence of the regularity of submission affecting image placement. But Alamy can change the parameters used to place images at any time. :unsure:

Mark

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I was told by Alamy that some (but not all) searches can give priority to more recent images. Other than that I've seen no evidence of the regularity of submission affecting image placement. But Alamy can change the parameters used to place images at any time. :unsure:

Mark

Mark I used to upload quite regularly. At least one upload a week and I would get regular views and zooms.

Then I hit a bad spot and did not upload any images for quite a while. Views dropped and zooms tailed off to nil.

When I started regular uploads again the views improved and zooms started to come in again.

That is what I meant by keeping the port to the front.🙂

Allan

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Mark I used to upload quite regularly. At least one upload a week and I would get regular views and zooms.

Then I hit a bad spot and did not upload any images for quite a while. Views dropped and zooms tailed off to nil.

When I started regular uploads again the views improved and zooms started to come in again.

That is what I meant by keeping the port to the front.🙂

Allan

I understood what you meant by keeping your portfolio to the front.🙂

Out of interest - Did you see any movement in your BHZ position following your pause in uploading?

I've had a few blank patches where I've not uploaded for a month or two and haven't seen any obvious effect on zooms or views or BHZ (I keep weekly records of views, zooms and uploads). Although it's hard to be sure given the random/statistical nature of views and zooms and I guess any effect might only be seen after a re-rank occurred anyway, and they seem to have stopped altogether :(

Mark

15 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I understood what you meant by keeping your portfolio to the front.🙂

Out of interest - Did you see any movement in your BHZ position following your pause in uploading?

I've had a few blank patches where I've not uploaded for a month or two and haven't seen any obvious effect on zooms or views or BHZ (I keep weekly records of views, zooms and uploads). Although it's hard to be sure given the random/statistical nature of views and zooms and I guess any effect might only be seen after a re-rank occurred anyway, and they seem to have stopped altogether :(

Mark

The period of inaction was was rather stressful and I was concentrating on other things so did not think of checking BHZ.

Allan