Use your images for promotional purpose in exchange for a press pass

timo

Question

7 answers to this question

Tim,

Just my opinion, but it would depend on the event and the organization.

I've done many events for organizations that I believed in and many of my images

from them are on Alamy.  Keeping in mind that these organizations paid me to

photograph their events.

P.S. Liked viewing your images.  I am sort of from SF.

Chuck

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I would say that it depends on the circumstances - what type of venue and event. The idea that you should never provide images to anyone without a cash payment might be a very narrow minded approach. Promotion works two ways - you might benefit from providing images to the venue in terms of advertising your self, perhaps direct sales to people attending the event, the opportunity to get a permanent press pass, the possibility of further work as a recommended photographer and so on. And that is before you sell any for stock. A written contract might be a good idea specifying what you and they can and can't do with the images to avoid any doubt. 

• Like 1

There are some important distinctions here that are being ignored. Even though this admission is being called a "press pass," is it really one? If it's admission to a commercial event where it will be possible to make images that can be offered as commercial stock, then I say "yes!" Arrangements made with businesses that foster the production of images are often a good deal. This isn't news though and you aren't "the press."

If this is for a non-profit, say "yes, but ..." and get a tax deduction for your donation to the group. It will be up to you to get the right documentation from them. In my experience - and I haven't done this in a very long time - make sure you smile while you ask and show respect for the group mission.

In the places I've lived and photographed, actual press passes for news events are issued by police departments. They could well have an administrative fee for issuing them, but are unlikely to ask for anything more. Of course, you'll have to prove you're a member of the press.

• Love 1

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies! 

I responded by asking if she had made similar arrangements in the past and what they were. She replied, saying she was mistaken and they don't issue press passes.