RGB level 8

Hi!

I'm new here! I've been using LR for my photography for years but this is first time I've been told I have to hit level 8 or above. Is this a method of exporting that I need to input?

You can be pretty techy with me- help a girl out? How do I do this?

Thanks guys :)

7 hours ago, Emily Wilkerson said:

Hi!

I'm new here! I've been using LR for my photography for years but this is first time I've been told I have to hit level 8 or above. Is this a method of exporting that I need to input?

You can be pretty techy with me- help a girl out? How do I do this?

Thanks guys :)

On the LR export menu, I set

Image format JPG (this will force a 8 bit RGB data)

Quality 90

Colour space sRGB (or AdobeRGB if you want , but Alamy will convert to sRGB on receipt)

NO watermarking

NO Output sharpening

Resize (downsize only) if you want to, but make sure your exported image contains at least 6 million pixels

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I always use Level 12. 

Mark, I'm wondering if there's any valid point in my using Adobe RBG if Alamy converts to sRGB???

If your sole purpose is creating jpgs for Alamy (or other places that want sRGB), then there’s no point in using AdobeRGB as Alamy will convert to SRGB on receipt  Indeed under those conditions I would argue it’s better to set PS to use sRGB working space so you get the best consistency in colour rendering and histograms throughout your workflow.

However, if you don’t keep the RAW files and want to retain the wider gamut jpgs for the future, then use AdobeRGB.

In my case I’ve standardised on sRGB throughout (because that’s what all the libraries I use accept). But I also keep my RAW files.

No harm in using quality level 12, but in my experience 10 is OK for Alamy

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

17 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, Mark.

I don't do news and I'd rather have best quality than enough.

When connections were slower and storage more costly, it made sense to have smaller files. Not so much now, although I do still have LR set at 90 (PS 10?). The files are about half the size.

Edited by spacecadet