Sky "Master of Photography" - Model releases

I wonder if any of you have watched this series. I'm following it on "catch up"

OK it is extremely formulaic, and the judges attempts to be provocative and inject drama into the programme are somewhat tedious, but I do like watching the way that the contenders interpret and address the challenges that are set.

I'm curious how they handle the issue of releases for the street work, and wonder if any other forum members have any experience in this area.

All we are shown is the lone photographer snapping away. But is there a back-up team following them around and getting the subjects to sign a release? Or is the whole thing "editorial" and no releases required? Or is that also part of the contenders task that we are never shown?

Any thoughts?

Russell

Russell, I've done all those things in the past. I did two big multi-destination shoots, one in South America, the other in Asia. I had two people with me, an assistant and a translator. The airline client, PanAm, wanted direct snaps of locals looking friendly. We carried model releases and paid each subject a small amount. So this was a "may I take your picture?" situation. On other travel assignments, I would sometimes ask people to allow me to snap them for a project that I was doing to publicize their country or area. Sometimes they signed the model release and sometimes they did not. 

For digital stock, I do none of that. I shoot what we called Street, often including people in the frame. If there are people in the frame, I check the box that says I do not have any model releases. Everything I shoot for Alamy is for editorial stock.  

Edo

While I know the program is highly staged I did enjoy it.   The judges, while it maybe alleged are playing to the camera, their comments can be interesting in terms of story telling and that elusive contact with the photographic subject.  

They must get releases otherwise it would would be difficult to show on television given different countries laws on this subject.  I would say it is definitely worth a watch...

Thanks for your comments Ed and Ian.

They must get releases otherwise it would would be difficult to show on television given different countries laws on this subject

That's rather what I thought - obviously each contender is being followed by a camera crew, but I'm curious how much additional staging & support is involved. As a non-italian speaking Englishman, I'd find it difficult to approach an Italian woman in a run-down area of Rome and ask to photograph and film them.

I speak Italian, Russell, so Rome wouldn't be a problem for me. But I've also traveled the world and I find that a gesture with the camera and a smile will get a nod that says okay or a negative shake of the head. Getting a stranger to sign a release is something else entirely. Have you read a model release? I wouldn't sign one.

For now, just shoot to include people and click the box that says you do not have a model release. (I don't click the editorial only box.)

Edo

Many years ago I was doing a shoot for Air Canada in Montreal. Airlines like model releases as so many people regard them as likely targets not entirely without reason. I had an assistant with a clipboard of releases and a fistful of dollar bills. She managed a fair number of signatures but it was a nightmare. Once was enough!. Don't even think about it in France. They are often very aware of their rights to privacy and you will get a "non" pretty quickly

Edited by Robert M Estall

4 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

I had an assistant with a clipboard of releases and a fistful of dollar bills.

I'd love to have seen it! I imagine that this is what's happening in Masters of Photography.

I liked the first and second series where the contestants were sent  the back of the room to choose their pick of the Leicas...always made me chuckle. 

Russell, if you're really interested in what happened behind the scenes, why not contact one or some of the contestants? Most have some sort of web presence and I'm sure they're open to a bit of networking. 

Cheers

James

1 hour ago, Mr Standfast said:

I liked the first and second series where the contestants were sent  the back of the room to choose their pick of the Leicas...always made me chuckle. 

Russell, if you're really interested in what happened behind the scenes, why not contact one or some of the contestants? Most have some sort of web presence and I'm sure they're open to a bit of networking. 

Cheers

James

I think Canon are now supplying all the kit, even down to the printer. But that's a great idea, I'll see what I can do.

5 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Cheers

James

One of the finalists, the Army guy is an Alamy contributor.  I can not remember his name, but someone will.....   I think he might be out of the army now

13 hours ago, IanDavidson said:

One of the finalists, the Army guy is an Alamy contributor.  I can not remember his name, but someone will.....   I think he might be out of the army now

Rupert Frere I believe, I'll try to track him down.

• Like 1