Avalanche of views but average zooms

The last month I had an abnormal number of views passing the 20.000.

It doubled the average of the first three months, when in previous years (recorded data from 2009/2012) April is in fact a weaker month than the first quarter, thus under the average.

Yet, the number of zooms are in line with the average of the three first months and not far from the 2012 overall average.

Anyone experiencing a huge surge in the number of views?

Or can this be a kind of "curse" of the Creative collection when we get the images counted when viewed in it, and then recounted when the client selects the Relevant tab?

Jose,

I’m sure the clicking of both the Relevant and Creative buttons creates extra zooms but the biggest factor seems to be the default setting of 120 images per page in search results.

I did a quick bit of analysis the other day, taking 2 separate weeks either side of the introduction of the new look website. The rise in views was quite dramatic, whilst zooms stayed pretty much the same – as did the number of search terms. Consequently, average CTR also took a big dive.

It’s worth noting that the Average CTR for the whole of Alamy quoted on the Measures page isn’t the true average (it’s an average of averages and not Total Views/Total Zooms). For April the true average was around 0.42% (Measures states 0.53%).

Table2_zpsb81013ea.jpg

Ian

Interesting stats Ian.  I have been experiencing a similar rise in views, although not as many as you, and it is having a devastating effect on CTR.  Although I don't believe CTR plays a big role in ranking I understand that numbers of sales to views is a factor so with the two things together it may not be good news. 

Pearl

Interesting stats Ian.  I have been experiencing a similar rise in views, although not as many as you, and it is having a devastating effect on CTR.  Although I don't believe CTR plays a big role in ranking I understand that numbers of sales to views is a factor so with the two things together it may not be good news. 

Pearl

Thanks for the comment, Pearl.

Just in case there's any confusion, I would like to stress that the figures I've quoted are for All of Alamy and not my own statistics!!

I can recall having quoted some figures in the past and some contributors were amazed at the numbers I was getting - needless to say that was, as here, for All of Alamy!

Ian

Excellent analysis Ian. You may be quite right if the standard view passed from 30 images to 120.

Unfortunately my raise in views was much more dramatic and my CTR is pretty much the lowest I have had in the last several years.

I am sure one of the reasons most of us are having increased views is because Alamy recently changed the default number of images viewed by buyers to 120 as they said they would. Before I am not sure whether the default was 30, or it just defaulted to whatever they had last used. Most of us with large collections now see 120 views minimum for most searches, the only ones showing less being the ones where there are less than 120 images to see in the total search.

Hence overall numbers of views have gone up; but zooms may not go up in proportion as buyers may not want to necessarily see so many views and may still only zoom one or two....If that is the case then average CTR will drop over the next couple of months

Kumar Sriskandan

Jose,

I’m sure the clicking of both the Relevant and Creative buttons creates extra zooms but the biggest factor seems to be the default setting of 120 images per page in search results.

I did a quick bit of analysis the other day, taking 2 separate weeks either side of the introduction of the new look website. The rise in views was quite dramatic, whilst zooms stayed pretty much the same – as did the number of search terms. Consequently, average CTR also took a big dive.

It’s worth noting that the Average CTR for the whole of Alamy quoted on the Measures page isn’t the true average (it’s an average of averages and not Total Views/Total Zooms). For April the true average was around 0.42% (Measures states 0.53%).

Table2_zpsb81013ea.jpg

Ian

PS. Ian - good to see you have joined in the end!

Kumar Sriskandan

PS. Ian - good to see you have joined in the end!

Kumar Sriskandan

Thanks, Kumar - I had no problem once I realised I could use an account I'd created a couple of years ago with no images in it!

As you say, the old site did default to the previous selection but, for new buyers or if you cleared your cookies, the default was 30. What the quite dramatic increase in views seems to indicate is that a lot of buyers either weren't aware of or didn't use the option button to change the default.

Ian

Totally agree Ian,

The default 120 is producing a lot more views. We have a high ranking too and views have increased since the re-design of the Alamy site with our CTR dropping slightly. The upside to this is our zooms are up 25% on prior 'normal' levels.

J

Interesting stats Ian. I have been experiencing a similar rise in views, although not as many as you, and it is having a devastating effect on CTR. Although I don't believe CTR plays a big role in ranking I understand that numbers of sales to views is a factor so with the two things together it may not be good news.

Pearl

Thanks for the comment, Pearl.

Just in case there's any confusion, I would like to stress that the figures I've quoted are for All of Alamy and not my own statistics!!

Ian

Thank goodness for that. I was starting to feel totally inadequate!

Sheila

• 2 weeks later...

Most of my sales come without zooms, so in this case what benefit is CTR? Isn't there a better way to measure?

In fact zooms does mean sales even if you cannot connect a specific search with a specific sale. At this moment I'm having a sale for about 4 or 5 zooms. The raise in the number of views with the same number of zooms will help bury your images in the search results even if CTR is not the only criteria used in the ranking system.

Archived