Name the clematis..

Matt Ashmore

Question

A question for the plant experts.. can you name this variety of clematis. I did wonder if it was a 'jackmanii' but I'm not convinced having checked on google.

It would be great to be able to add another tag rather than leaving it as a generic 'purple clematis'!

Close up view of purple clematis flowers. - Stock Image

11 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Thank you all for your suggestions. The clematis is in my parents' garden. My Mum is a keen gardener and can normally tell me the names of plants but in this case didn't know herself.. I think it was a purchase from a supermarket years ago. 

I don't know if this photo helps with scale (the clematis is on the left).  This article https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/how-to-grow/make-small-spaces-top-10-clematis-recommended-rhs/ does tend to suggest Wisley has flowers which are 10-13 cm in diameter which is relatively consistent with size of the flower's on the clematis that I photographed so I might just go with Wisley for now. If a photograph buyer knows better then they can just move on to the next image.

Table and chairs underneath a wooden pergola in a cottage garden. Stock Photo

Looks about the right size and layout for a Clematis viticella type rather than the larger flowered clematis,  This is 'Wisley':  Looks very similar.

Singe blue-violet summer flowers of the hardy climber, Clematis viticella 'Wisley' Stock Photo Singe blue-violet summer flowers of the hardy climber, Clematis viticella 'Wisley' Stock Photo

Nice garden your parent's have.  

3 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

A question for the plant experts.. can you name this variety of clematis. I did wonder if it was a 'jackmanii' but I'm not convinced having checked on google.

It would be great to be able to add another tag rather than leaving it as a generic 'purple clematis'!

I'm no expert, but it looks like 'President', an early large flowered Clematis.

But i'd await the definitive answer from John Richmond!

John.

• Thanks 1

"Name the Clematis" sounds like a good name for a new TV game show. You might have a winner on your hands there. 🤩

There is a bewildering number of clematises, and new varieties are being cultivated all the time, it seems. I just include the colour(s) -- e.g. purple clematis.

That said, if John R. doesn't know, then nobody does.

I have no idea what this one is (don't mean to steal the show, you were first, Matt).

closeup-of-a-deep-purple-clematis-flower

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Thanks 1

It''s difficult to tell.  I'm not a clematis expert but the darker purple bar would tend to rule out 'The President' which is a more uniform blue.  I can't tell from the photograph how large the flowers are but if they are smaller than the large flowered clematis then there is a viticella type called 'Wisley' that has that colouration - and it would certainly be flowering at this time of year.  

Sorry I can't be more help.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your suggestions. The clematis is in my parents' garden. My Mum is a keen gardener and can normally tell me the names of plants but in this case didn't know herself.. I think it was a purchase from a supermarket years ago. 

14 hours ago, John Richmond said:

I can't tell from the photograph how large the flowers are but if they are smaller than the large flowered clematis then there is a viticella type called 'Wisley' that has that colouration - and it would certainly be flowering at this time of year.  

I don't know if this photo helps with scale (the clematis is on the left).  This article https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/how-to-grow/make-small-spaces-top-10-clematis-recommended-rhs/ does tend to suggest Wisley has flowers which are 10-13 cm in diameter which is relatively consistent with size of the flower's on the clematis that I photographed so I might just go with Wisley for now. If a photograph buyer knows better then they can just move on to the next image.

Table and chairs underneath a wooden pergola in a cottage garden. Stock Photo

7 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Nice garden your parent's have. 

Yes,  I seem to take photographs of their garden every time I visit. I wish I had a garden like it but I don't have the free time (the time I do have tends to be spent taking photographs rather than gardening!  .. I did lay that patio that the table and chairs are on for them about 6 or 7 years ago however 🙂 )

Edited by Matt Ashmore

18 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

"Name the Clematis" sounds like a good name for a new TV game show. You might have a winner on your hands there. 🤩

There is a bewildering number of clematises, and new varieties are being cultivated all the time, it seems. I just include the colour(s) -- e.g. purple clematis.

That said, if John R. doesn't know, then nobody does.

I have no idea what this one is (don't mean to steal the show, you were first, Matt).

closeup-of-a-deep-purple-clematis-flower

That one looks like 'Lasurstern'