Name the clematis..

Matt Ashmore

Question

A question for the plant experts.. can you name this variety of clematis. I did wonder if it was a 'jackmanii' but I'm not convinced having checked on google.

It would be great to be able to add another tag rather than leaving it as a generic 'purple clematis'!

Close up view of purple clematis flowers. - Stock Image

11 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Thank you all for your suggestions. The clematis is in my parents' garden. My Mum is a keen gardener and can normally tell me the names of plants but in this case didn't know herself.. I think it was a purchase from a supermarket years ago. 

I don't know if this photo helps with scale (the clematis is on the left).  This article https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/how-to-grow/make-small-spaces-top-10-clematis-recommended-rhs/ does tend to suggest Wisley has flowers which are 10-13 cm in diameter which is relatively consistent with size of the flower's on the clematis that I photographed so I might just go with Wisley for now. If a photograph buyer knows better then they can just move on to the next image.

Table and chairs underneath a wooden pergola in a cottage garden. Stock Photo

Looks about the right size and layout for a Clematis viticella type rather than the larger flowered clematis,  This is 'Wisley':  Looks very similar.

Singe blue-violet summer flowers of the hardy climber, Clematis viticella 'Wisley' Stock Photo Singe blue-violet summer flowers of the hardy climber, Clematis viticella 'Wisley' Stock Photo

Nice garden your parent's have.  

3 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

A question for the plant experts.. can you name this variety of clematis. I did wonder if it was a 'jackmanii' but I'm not convinced having checked on google.

It would be great to be able to add another tag rather than leaving it as a generic 'purple clematis'!

I'm no expert, but it looks like 'President', an early large flowered Clematis.

But i'd await the definitive answer from John Richmond!

John.

"Name the Clematis" sounds like a good name for a new TV game show. You might have a winner on your hands there. 🤩

There is a bewildering number of clematises, and new varieties are being cultivated all the time, it seems. I just include the colour(s) -- e.g. purple clematis.

That said, if John R. doesn't know, then nobody does.

I have no idea what this one is (don't mean to steal the show, you were first, Matt).

closeup-of-a-deep-purple-clematis-flower

It''s difficult to tell.  I'm not a clematis expert but the darker purple bar would tend to rule out 'The President' which is a more uniform blue.  I can't tell from the photograph how large the flowers are but if they are smaller than the large flowered clematis then there is a viticella type called 'Wisley' that has that colouration - and it would certainly be flowering at this time of year.  

Sorry I can't be more help.

Thank you all for your suggestions. The clematis is in my parents' garden. My Mum is a keen gardener and can normally tell me the names of plants but in this case didn't know herself.. I think it was a purchase from a supermarket years ago. 

14 hours ago, John Richmond said:

I can't tell from the photograph how large the flowers are but if they are smaller than the large flowered clematis then there is a viticella type called 'Wisley' that has that colouration - and it would certainly be flowering at this time of year.  

I don't know if this photo helps with scale (the clematis is on the left).  This article https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/how-to-grow/make-small-spaces-top-10-clematis-recommended-rhs/ does tend to suggest Wisley has flowers which are 10-13 cm in diameter which is relatively consistent with size of the flower's on the clematis that I photographed so I might just go with Wisley for now. If a photograph buyer knows better then they can just move on to the next image.

Table and chairs underneath a wooden pergola in a cottage garden. Stock Photo

7 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Nice garden your parent's have. 

Yes,  I seem to take photographs of their garden every time I visit. I wish I had a garden like it but I don't have the free time (the time I do have tends to be spent taking photographs rather than gardening!  .. I did lay that patio that the table and chairs are on for them about 6 or 7 years ago however 🙂 )

18 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

"Name the Clematis" sounds like a good name for a new TV game show. You might have a winner on your hands there. 🤩

There is a bewildering number of clematises, and new varieties are being cultivated all the time, it seems. I just include the colour(s) -- e.g. purple clematis.

That said, if John R. doesn't know, then nobody does.

I have no idea what this one is (don't mean to steal the show, you were first, Matt).

closeup-of-a-deep-purple-clematis-flower

That one looks like 'Lasurstern'

Archived