Portfolio review request

3 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Hard to say much about just 100 pix. First thoughts... Birds need Latin names (and one of your 'great tits' is a cole tit). One or two pix a bit gloomy (open up shadows)...

Thanks for the feedback John, will take the comments on board and correct the names to include the Latin names.

John you have a reasonable start but 106 images are too small a sample.  My view is that you need to expand your captions somewhat.  You have a picture of a nice house but nothing in the caption on location.  I agree with the comment from John; you may need to watch your lighting, some of your pictures would look much better with good lighting.  Use one of the apps that tells you where the sun is and elevation etc.  I am aware, as a Scotsman, that the sun does not always shine but it is important to get as good lighting as you can.  There may be something you can do with your processing workflow to add a bit of punch.   I will put my hand up and say I am no landscape photographer but to me some of your compositions need work.  On occasion, in your wide shots, there is no center point of focus.  

You may wish to consider your work from the viewpoint of a buyer.  Ask why someone would want to buy this picture?   What is the concept/story? Some of your shots have pictures of people "doing things" they tend to do well on Alamy as an editorial agency.

You have made a start in a beautiful part of the country (I am only very jealous living in Essex)  Some of your photos are very good (I like the bird shots but that is a highly competitive area)  You need to put as much work in to captions and keywords as taking the photos.

Good luck...

Edited by IanDavidson
typo

Hi John.

I agree with what John and Ian have said about captions and keywords. When I first started uploading that was where I fell down most of the time as well. But as I learned more about what I was photographing I came up with new and better things to say. It is very much a learning process. And being from Scotland myself I know only too well what the weather is like. Four seasons in one day or what! If it helps, when it's dull I usually add an extra 1/3 or 1/2 a stop compensation in camera just to lift the picture.

Out of your pictures I think the ones of the Kelpies are brilliant, especially the wide angled ones looking up. If I don't see them on a postcard or the front cover of a guide book some day then I don't know what's wrong with people. They deserve to be there, in my opinion.

Brian.

Thanks for your feedback, Brian. I will set aside some time to look at the captions and keywords again.

19 hours ago, Brizbee said:

Out of your pictures I think the ones of the Kelpies are brilliant, especially the wide angled ones looking up. If I don't see them on a postcard or the front cover of a guide book some day then I don't know what's wrong with people. They deserve to be there, in my opinion.

The Kelpies and some of my grey seal images have sold in small numbers on a couple of print on demand sites in the past.

Rather envious of T55J89, its got to sell!  - but I would be trying to be a bit more imaginative in the keywording. 

Some of your shots are not, in my view, sufficiently targeted on the subject, with excessive irrelevant foreground e.g. T8HC3J or unnecessary background e.g. T542TW. Whenever I make this comment I normally add that I recognise this as one of my own earlier failings! 

Edited by Bryan

On 10/06/2019 at 20:01, Brizbee said:

The Kelpies do sell. I've licensed several here, including this one which has sold several times:

the-kelpies-sculpture-in-evening-light-falkirk-stirling-EXF4TN.jpg

Alan

On 12/06/2019 at 09:31, Inchiquin said:

The Kelpies do sell. I've licensed several here, including this one which has sold several times:

Thanks for your reply Alan.

I am working through the captions/keywords at present.