Question about my earnings

Patrick Cooper

Question

Just recently, I received my second sale on Alamy. The full amount is $46 but I'm trying to find out my cut. Since contributors get 40% these days, I guess my cut would be around $18. I'm clicking on different things on the site (still don't know my way all around the Alamy interface) but can't see the actual figure displayed anywhere. 

Another thing is for my first sale (when contributors got 50% of a sale) I got $10 out of a $20 sale. And for a long time, my (cleared) balance was $10. However, this new sale hasn't affected my balance. It's still $10. So I'm curious why I still have the same balance. 

9 answers to this question

Patrick you can get to see up to date  details of each deal if you "Download sales report" and choose "Date of invoice". You can also download in greater detail as a spreadsheet CSV file. 

If  your photos are exclusive to Alamy and annotated as such then your share is 50% - photos of artwork without context, i.e. someone looking at it, cannot be marked as exclusive.

If they are not exclusive or not annotated as such, you get 40%

If you sell via a distributor, they also take a cut, so your share is reduced to 30%. You can opt out of distributor sales, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Edited by Bryan

Thankyou for your reply. Yes, this particular image is non-exclusive so 40% to me. I selected the 'Download Sales Report' but it's mostly blank. It includes headings like 'Date Clear', 'Total Sale'  and 'Date Paid' etc but there are no details of such. Just blank fields below.

Additionally, would anyone know why my balance is still $10 after two sales?

When Alamy make the sale they report it to us immediately. However, in many cases the customer is an account customer and Alamy doesn't get paid until some time later, usually six weeks but too often even longer than that. When Alamy receives the payment from the customer they will give you your share and your cleared balance increases. When your cleared balance reaches $50, you will be paid the actual cash at the end of the month.

Thankyou Joseph for clearing that up. Supposedly, this latest sale is for 'books and magazines' so I wonder how long it takes for those kinds of clients to pay up. By the way, I haven't uploaded to Alamy for ages. Maybe I should start submitting again!

Edited by Patrick Cooper

42 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Thankyou Joseph for clearing that up. Supposedly, this latest sale is for 'books and magazines' so I wonder how long it takes for those kinds of clients to pay up. By the way, I haven't uploaded to Alamy for ages. Maybe I should start submitting again!

Very difficult to generalise about how long a payment will take to clear, but most of mine clear in the region of six to eight weeks, but a few take months (mostly newspapers). A small number take longer or, in a few caes, never clear as the customer disappears or goes bust.

If you have managed a couple of sales with just 191 images you are doing quite well. Alamy now have an office in Australia which regularly tweets about specific picture requirements, so you might keep an eye open there.

I don't bother with downloading the sales report. If you go to your dashboard and look at Account balance you'll get the sale amount and the commissions to Alamy and any distributor. This doesn't show up as early as the downloaded report but it is enough for me. It will also show which sales have cleared. That can take a long time to happen. Months usually.

Paulette

Thanks Paulette. I looked at the Account balance before. Though what worried me a little is that it indicated: "Total payments to you: $0.00." Does this mean that I haven't met the minimum payout level yet?

Edited by Patrick Cooper

That just means that they haven't paid anything to you during that time period. You can adjust the time period and when I am looking at the figures that show up when I first go there it is just the month of May and it shows they haven't paid me anything in May. When I adjust the view for three months it shows how much money I have received from them in the past three months. Your cleared balance is shown after "Cleared balance". Once that reaches $50 you will be paid.

Paulette

On 13/05/2019 at 07:06, Patrick Cooper said:

Thankyou for your reply. Yes, this particular image is non-exclusive so 40% to me. I selected the 'Download Sales Report' but it's mostly blank. It includes headings like 'Date Clear', 'Total Sale'  and 'Date Paid' etc but there are no details of such. Just blank fields below.

Additionally, would anyone know why my balance is still $10 after two sales?

Did you select Date of Invoice rather than Date Paid?