Automatically setting images to Editorial via metadata?

PumpkinBeth

Question

I've put together a script to upload my images to Alamy via FTP, to make the process easier and less error prone (so it checks to ensure I have a caption, don't upload mobile photos, and so on). I'm wondering whether there is any way to tag a photo so the 'Sell for Editorial Only' flag is automatically set without me needing to do it within Alamy Image Manager. That way, I could tag the images 'editorial' in lightroom, and my script can convert the keyword into the appropriate metadata within the image prior to upload.

Is that possible at all?

9 answers to this question

If most of your images are editorial (and that's the "safer" default option anyway) you can set your Alamy default to Editorial. Then, although you can't automate the process, there's nothing to stop you putting something like untickditorial in your metadata tags for any non-editorial images before upload. Then after they have passed QC you can select all your non-editorial images at once in AIM by doing a search for untickeditorial, then select all that passed,  then untick the editorial flag and then tidy up by deleting the tag untickditorial from all of them at once. This would save you having to set them individually.

Mark

No need to do this if all your images are to be "Editorial Only".  Go into Alamy Image manager (AIM) from your dashboard, click on the Apply default settings cogwheel button - just to the left of your name in the black strip at the very top of AIM - and you can set all future uploads to whichever defaults you choose.

9 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

If most of your images are editorial (and that's the "safer" default option anyway) you can set your Alamy default to Editorial. Then, although you can't automate the process, there's nothing to stop you putting something like untickditorial in your metadata tags for any non-editorial images before upload. Then after they have passed QC you can select all your non-editorial images at once in AIM by doing a search for untickeditorial, then select all that passed,  then untick the editorial flag and then tidy up by deleting the tag untickditorial from all of them at once. This would save you having to set them individually.

Mark

You are so smart, Mark. Really. 😊

14 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Select all your non-editorial images at once in AIM by doing a search for untickeditorial, then select all that passed,  then untick the editorial flag and then tidy up by deleting the tag untickditorial from all of them at once. This would save you having to set them individually.

Thanks, that was exactly the kind of workflow I was envisioning; I just wondered if it was there already. As Inchiquin states, there's nothing in the IPTC/Exif standards that would cover this, but there's no reason why a specific keyword couldn't be used to manage it. It would just be handy if Alamy had some processes to do this automatically (e.g., upload images tagged "AlamyEditorial" and they'll automatically be flagged 'Editorial' and that (now-redundant) keyword/tag stripped from the underlying picture. :)