Two silly questions that I should know the answer for

Q1. When shooting 'editorial' in a public space with only a limited number of people, is there a financial advantage in getting a model release for each individual, if it is practical to do so?

Q2. Is there a consensus of opinion re including facial features in editorial as opposed to not including them. i.e. do back of head/ rear end shots fare better in terms of sales than those with identifying photos? Thx 🙂

1. It's not needed for editorial, and as it's likely that the location or things they're wearing would need property releases, I can't see that there could be much, if any, advantage in getting model releases. If they were models and you'd got them to wear generic clothes* etc and had a property release for the location or none was needed, that's different, but these would be commercial images.

Financial advantage? Hard to say. Is Alamy a great place for selling commerical stock? Isn't it all about the discount the buyer has negotiated, and not about the image?

Practical? If they were strangers, probably not. Unless they were all a group and were willing to wait for you to discuss all the ins and outs of what implications there are in signing releases. If they were separate, by the time you'd gone over all the possibilities and answered any questions with the first person, the others would usually have moved on.

*But Alamy seems require that just about any 'thing' needs a release, so even that might not work. Other agencies, while being wary of IP issues, aren't quite so strict in that regard.

2. Sorry, my sales here are so incredibly random, I can't offer any useful advice on this.

Edited by Cryptoprocta
  • Love 1

1. My released photos have not sold more at all, but I don’t have a lot released photos on Alamy, so not very scientific. 

2. I do think that buyers tend to like to see faces rather than backsides, particularly with travel images.  But that does not mean that none face shots don’t sell..they do....especially if it is a sensitive or controversial subject matter.

• Love 1

Jansos, those very nice buildings shaped like a slice of pie are called “flatirons” in the USA. You might want to add all the variations to your tags. 

Betty

Pardon me, perhaps those shapes are not called flatirons. Seems there is a NY building with the name Flatiron, not sure if that shape is an architectural style called that. I assumed so, but what do I know? 😁

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

Many thanks to everyone for your responses - much appreciated. 

Betty - thanks for the Flatiron suggestion. Must admit I'm not much of an architectural buff! 🙂

3 hours ago, Jansos said:

Many thanks to everyone for your responses - much appreciated. 

Betty - thanks for the Flatiron suggestion. Must admit I'm not much of an architectural buff! 🙂

I’m not an architectural buff either, but these particular buildings I love. They are so different. Standouts.

• Love 1