USA tags

John Mitchell

Question

I never never include the phrase "United States of America" in my image tags, only "USA", "United States", and "North America" (along with city and state names, of course).

Should I be including "United States of America"? A peek at All of Alamy shows that some buyers do use it in searches.

9 answers to this question

I live here and don’t include it. Here’s mine.

US,USA,U.S.,U.S.A.,United States,North America

and I know I’ve missed the “North America” tag on too many images.

Is “of” ignored? If so, then you would have United States and North America, just not as a inclusive phrase.

Betty

I have been using just USA for a long time, but saw an Alamy post recommending using more  so recent uploads I have been trying to add Untied States and America.  I did some searches and this is what I got: USA 10,660,979 images,  United States 7,212,153, United States of America 3,283,901, North America 2,066,743.  For picture buyers it would seem "USA" would be the best term that would return the most images.

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I live here and don’t include it. Here’s mine.

US,USA,U.S.,U.S.A.,United States,North America

and I know I’ve missed the “North America” tag on too many images.

Is “of” ignored? If so, then you would have United States and North America, just not as a inclusive phrase.

Betty

I've always figured that using both "united states" and "north america" as tags should cover the bases. However, if the search engine doesn't ignore "of", then adding the entire phrase "united states of america" might be a good idea. I don't think (?) it can hurt anyway. Putting in "us" -- which I haven't done -- might be a good idea as well by the looks of it.

11 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I've always figured that using both "united states" and "north america" as tags should cover the bases. However, if the search engine doesn't ignore "of", then adding the entire phrase "united states of america" might be a good idea. I don't think (?) it can hurt anyway. Putting in "us" -- which I haven't done -- might be a good idea as well by the looks of it.

Looks like you’re right. Wow.

6 hours ago, Johnnie5 said:

I have been using just USA for a long time, but saw an Alamy post recommending using more  so recent uploads I have been trying to add Untied States and America.  I did some searches and this is what I got: USA 10,660,979 images,  United States 7,212,153, United States of America 3,283,901, North America 2,066,743.  For picture buyers it would seem "USA" would be the best term that would return the most images.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of trying that.

John, when did the ability to see contributor tags disappear? While just now doing a search for “United States of America” (without the quotes) I noticed the tags are gone. I was interested to see how many people actually had the phrase using “of” or if United States, North America worked the same.

Was there an announcement I missed about no longer seeing tags?

I well remember when we couldn’t view the important keywords, but only those in the last of three boxes in the old system. All I see now is the caption and description.

Betty

Duh, they are there. I need that second cup of coffee to uncross my eyes this morning. I do have a headache. (Trying to fix blame...insisting I still have my wits)

Archived