Software question

The simple answer is NO. That camera is not compatible with the LR4 raw converter. If you don't want to upgrade to LR5, then you can use the DNG converter to convert to DNG first. As far as I know, then LR4 should be able to open the files. I've not done it so can't speak from first hand experience.

To check, if you go to the dowload section for ACR on the Adobe website, it will list the updates to ACR and, if you check the details for each update, it will state which cameras have been included in the update. As a rule, if a new version of LR has come out before the update, then the older version of LR will not be compatible,a s is the case here. Unusually, Adobe has continued to support ACR fro PSCS6 so if you had that it would be compatible. However, then your LR and PSCS are out of sync which results in annoying and confusing messages.

Thanks MDM. I think you're definitely right having checked around the Web. I don't want to put the newest Mac OS on my current system because it's setup and running well for other applications. I have been putting off buying a new iMac i7 for quite some time as a dedicated photography workstation and have been held hostage slightly, by continuing with the same OS for about 5 years.

I don't have the answer to your basic question, Gervais. I have LR5 now and OS Mountain Lion and don't own the RX100 II. But I agree that we are indeed held hostage by these too frequent updates. I'm wondering if Sony has improved their conversion software. I wonder too if you tried it, assuming that it still comes on an included disk in the camera's box? The software I got with my NEX cameras was very bad. 

A small bright light in all this is that the LR5 update is both affordable and worth doing. 5 seems to run smoother (for me), and you'll find the new perspective tool easy to use and very useful. 

Good luck.

I don't have the answer to your basic question, Gervais. I have LR5 now and OS Mountain Lion and don't own the RX100 II. But I agree that we are indeed held hostage by these too frequent updates. I'm wondering if Sony has improved their conversion software. I wonder too if you tried it, assuming that it still comes on an included disk in the camera's box? The software I got with my NEX cameras was very bad. 

A small bright light in all this is that the LR5 update is both affordable and worth doing. 5 seems to run smoother (for me), and you'll find the new perspective tool easy to use and very useful. 

Good luck.

+1

Good luck.

+1

LR5 probably won't run on any system older than 10.7 OS Lion. LR4 runs on Snow Leopard which is what I presume Gervais has.

Good luck.

Ed I just went out and bought the RX100 II this afternoon and ordered an iMac from Apple about 10 minutes ago. So further to our previous talks here about the benefits of LR5, I am happily looking forward to that upgrade in about 5 to 7 days time. I also understand that Apple is bringing out yet another OS this autumn (fall) called Maverick.

MDM. Thanks for the input and yes, LR4 on SL is what I have. And LR5 will not work and neither will RX100 II RAW files either on SL (because you can't run LR5 on SL it's a vicious circle). In the end, I just think you have to eventually move on with another system, although I will retain my old computer system for other applications.

Anyways, just in case anyone is thinking of an RX100 II and still has an old Mac OS, it's worth noting an upgrade will be necessary.

Ed I just went out and bought the RX100 II this afternoon and ordered an iMac from Apple about 10 minutes ago. So further to our previous talks here about the benefits of LR5, I am happily looking forward to that upgrade in about 5 to 7 days time. I also understand that Apple is bringing out yet another OS this autumn (fall) called Maverick.

MDM. Thanks for the input and yes, LR4 on SL is what I have. And LR5 will not work and neither will RX100 II RAW files either on SL (because you can't run LR5 on SL it's a vicious circle). In the end, I just think you have to eventually move on with another system, although I will retain my old computer system for other applications.

Anyways, just in case anyone is thinking of an RX100 II and still has an old Mac OS, it's worth noting an upgrade will be necessary.

You're cookin' now, Gervais! Hope you get some dynamite images with that pocket Sony. 

Archived