I had one a few months ago, which resulted in a license for the book cover.  Exclusive use as a book cover was all the customer asked for.  I replied that I would agree to that on the assumption that licensing for other purposes would still be permitted.  Alamy did not comment on my assumption but went ahead and licensed the image.  I was surprised when I later inadvertently discovered that Alamy now shows the image as not available for any licensing for magazines or books.  I asked why,  noting that this notation deprives both Alamy and me of any additional revenues that could be gained from magazine use, or from use inside a book.  (And this only shortly before Alamy told us it would lower commissions to 40% because it needs more money.)  Alamy replied that its software is currently incapable of distinguishing between book and magazine use, and book cover and inside use.  So be aware that if you consent to exclusive use as a book cover you are in effect removing that image from further consideration for other licenses for magazine use or for inside book use.  I hope Alamy will use some of the money it's now earning from its increased commissions to pay for improvements in its website software.

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

Alamy replied that its software is currently incapable of distinguishing between book and magazine use, and book cover and inside use.

That in itself seems very odd but that's backed out on the image pages, no way to specify you want an image for a book cover.

Surely a cover should cost more than an inside use? I'm sure plenty people judge books by their covers, to some extent at least.

Licensing the image for a book cover, in this case, brought $950 to Alamy, half to me.  Alamy says that's a lot, and don't worry about the other magazine and inside uses that now will not occur. 

Archived