Obviously a DACS question:

Just checking if contributors use a website to search for magazine ISBN numbers? I swear I found one last year but I didn't bookmark it - and this morning's visit to the library and the supermarket bookshelf hasn't yielded all that I need. 

Thanks.

Richard.

I found the ISSN portal this morning while doing the DACS thing. Some of it is free access and some is subscription, I've not explored it enough to know how useful it really is, though I did find the ISSN of The Sub-Postmaster Magazine through its facilities :)

Oops Mark was quicker than me....

10 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

I found the ISSN portal this morning while doing the DACS thing. Some of it is free access and some is subscription, I've not explored it enough to know how useful it really is, though I did find the ISSN of The Sub-Postmaster Magazine through its facilities :)

Oops Mark was quicker than me....

11 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Magazines have ISSN numbers which can usually be found here https://portal.issn.org/

Mark

Thanks, both. I've now discovered you need to delete the dash in the middle for DACS to find and ingest the title. The next issue is that DACS keeps logging me out!

Many thanks.

Richard

I think that you need to use the CLA (copyright licensing authority) website because the DACs list is matched against the numbers used by the CLA. Many books/mags are not recognised by the CLA so will not count even if you have the correct number. Just go to the CLA site and type in the name of the publication and if it matches then the 8 figure? CLA ISSN/ISBN will appear- or it did for me last year yielding a payment of around £600 for the publication history claim.

Regen

1 hour ago, regen said:

I think that you need to use the CLA (copyright licensing authority) website because the DACs list is matched against the numbers used by the CLA. Many books/mags are not recognised by the CLA so will not count even if you have the correct number. Just go to the CLA site and type in the name of the publication and if it matches then the 8 figure? CLA ISSN/ISBN will appear- or it did for me last year yielding a payment of around £600 for the publication history claim.

Regen

Thanks Regen. I've successfully used the ISSN site and have bookmarked your CLA alternative for next time round!

11 hours ago, vpics said:

I don't know if it's just me again, but I have problems inputting the ISBN numbers. Anyone else? DACS have told me that the site is really busy, but I'm struggling big time.

I didn't have any problems entering the numbers (remember to leave the dashes out). But I did find that the DACs system doesn't always "Find" the title of the publication associated with the ISSN (even when the publication is on the CLA database)  so I had to enter those titles manually.

Mark

12 hours ago, vpics said:

I don't know if it's just me again, but I have problems inputting the ISBN numbers. Anyone else? DACS have told me that the site is really busy, but I'm struggling big time.

I struggled too at times, entering an isbn or issn number would then leave the form waiting for up to several minutes for a response from the website. Got it done in the end, but I only had  a handful of titles to add to my publication list - I imagine you have rather more to enter than I had.

12 hours ago, vpics said:

I did too yesterday with minutes of waiting for their server to Find a publication or go to page 2 of titles already submitted.

Also, I kept getting logged out so that was an added pleasure ..

Archived