Saying Hi

Contact Us

16 hours ago, Contact Us said:

Hey guys, 

English - New Zealand photographer living in Australia. Signed up to Alamy in 2012, ran scared and now peeking under the covers again :) 

Hi, welcome back.

I`m pretty new here myself.  Just feeling my way around right now, but so far I love it.  Lots of advice in the forums. Once you start uploading and see how easy it is, you`ll wonder why you didn`t do it sooner.  Good luck and have fun!! :)

22 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

Hi - come out from under the covers, this is a very friendly place.  Loads of advice on how to get your photos right.

Hey :) ,

I'm gonna have a tonne of questions no doubt :) got about 20000+ travel images that need editing and will be hitting up the forum on how best to process the Raws to keep Alamy sweet :) In 2012, what I read, it seemed over sharpening was a common issue of new uploaders. 7 years on and.. yeah I'm sure things have changed :)

7 hours ago, Sharon said:

Hi, welcome back.

I`m pretty new here myself.  Just feeling my way around right now, but so far I love it.  Lots of advice in the forums. Once you start uploading and see how easy it is, you`ll wonder why you didn`t do it sooner.  Good luck and have fun!! :)

Hey :)

Yeah, I think I need to spend a few hours checking out forum posts of do's and don'ts this weekend.

1 hour ago, Contact Us said:

Hey :) ,

I'm gonna have a tonne of questions no doubt :) got about 20000+ travel images that need editing and will be hitting up the forum on how best to process the Raws to keep Alamy sweet :) In 2012, what I read, it seemed over sharpening was a common issue of new uploaders. 7 years on and.. yeah I'm sure things have changed :)

To be honest I leave the sharpening at where Lightroom sets it and have never had an image rejected for that reason.  One thing I have learned (am learning lol) is to make sure your exposure is good and colours bright.  I have had a tendency to underexpose - my images are dark compared to many others.   In the few months I have been here I have discovered the importance of a well-calibrated screen for processing (and added another thing to my list of what I would buy on a no limit credit card)

19 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

To be honest I leave the sharpening at where Lightroom sets it and have never had an image rejected for that reason.  

i actually did at their own Stock agency, thankfully on files before i uploaded them here (when i was scared of this place QC).  default LR can make a mess on some Fuji X-trans file. 

21 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

To be honest I leave the sharpening at where Lightroom sets it and have never had an image rejected for that reason.  One thing I have learned (am learning lol) is to make sure your exposure is good and colours bright.  I have had a tendency to underexpose - my images are dark compared to many others.   In the few months I have been here I have discovered the importance of a well-calibrated screen for processing (and added another thing to my list of what I would buy on a no limit credit card)

I'm an exposure and colour nazi :), I got some hi end hardware. When you say bright colours, is that just 'bright colours' or do you bump up the saturation?

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

i actually did at their own Stock agency, thankfully on files before i uploaded them here (when i was scared of this place QC).  default LR can make a mess on some Fuji X-trans file. 

I shoot Nikon and Fuji. LR does a great job on the .NEF's but a poor show on .RAF files. Because of this, I use Capture One for Fuji files.

It's the green part of the fuji files that LR has issues with. Things like grass/foliage have a softness/smearing and for Nikon raw files, Capture One has a 'cheap' look to the sharpening. So yeah.. a pain, but different software for different files.

*Capture one, I just White balance, exposure, sharpen then export a 16bit Tiff to LR and do the rest there. I find Capture One to not be intuitive.

41 minutes ago, Contact Us said:

I'm an exposure and colour nazi :), I got some hi end hardware. When you say bright colours, is that just 'bright colours' or do you bump up the saturation?

For me, it's making sure my exposure is right - when I underexpose the colours are dark and dull.  Making sure I am setting the exposure correctly brings the colours out properly.  I very very rarely mess with saturation - I might play with the vibrancy slider a bit.  I am still very wary of over processing.  I think a lot of my exposure issues were down to having my laptop screen brightness way way up (I am a light freak and not in a photography way - I have SAD and am right now sitting 40cm from a 32000 lux special light).  When I looked into screen calibration I turned the laptop screen down and my photos now look better on properly set screens.

53 minutes ago, Contact Us said:

I shoot Nikon and Fuji. LR does a great job on the .NEF's but a poor show on .RAF files. Because of this, I use Capture One for Fuji files.

It's the green part of the fuji files that LR has issues with. Things like grass/foliage have a softness/smearing and for Nikon raw files, Capture One has a 'cheap' look to the sharpening. So yeah.. a pain, but different software for different files.

*Capture one, I just White balance, exposure, sharpen then export a 16bit Tiff to LR and do the rest there. I find Capture One to not be intuitive.

actually ended up moving to Capture one, and really learn to appreciate it for photo editing. 

20 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

For me, it's making sure my exposure is right - when I underexpose the colours are dark and dull.  Making sure I am setting the exposure correctly brings the colours out properly.  I very very rarely mess with saturation - I might play with the vibrancy slider a bit.  I am still very wary of over processing.  I think a lot of my exposure issues were down to having my laptop screen brightness way way up (I am a light freak and not in a photography way - I have SAD and am right now sitting 40cm from a 32000 lux special light).  When I looked into screen calibration I turned the laptop screen down and my photos now look better on properly set screens.

Laptops are notoriously difficult to calibrate

3 hours ago, Contact Us said:

Laptops are notoriously difficult to calibrate

I didn't even think it was a thing - I just had the screen as bright as possible.  I am now planning changes in my workflow and probably moving editing to my desktop - and getting a proper calibrated monitor when I can afford it.

4 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

and getting a proper calibrated monitor

Super expensive of course from Eizo, BenQ etc. but obviously the best solution. In the meantime you might look around for a good secondhand IPS monitor like a Dell Ultrasharp together with a separate calibrator. A lot of people use Imacs for editing and they are a similar quality. Dells are often used for business and go cheaply especially at smaller sizes like 24". A major improvement on a laptop.

My desktop currently is attached to a samsung TV screen.  I am finding screens, calibration etc to be a whole new sub world to learn about.  I will improve my set ups as I can - with the usual irony that by ability to do so is linked to my ability to sell work and my ability to sell work is linked to the quality of my set ups lol

40 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

My desktop currently is attached to a samsung TV screen.  I am finding screens, calibration etc to be a whole new sub world to learn about.  I will improve my set ups as I can - with the usual irony that by ability to do so is linked to my ability to sell work and my ability to sell work is linked to the quality of my set ups lol

Just a heads-up.

You seem to be within the Royal Mint guidelines, but you probably shouldn't have current coins up as RF as they're Crown copyright.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Just a heads-up.

You seem to be within the Royal Mint guidelines, but you probably shouldn't have current coins up as RF as they're Crown copyright.

Thanks space - I will put them to editorial only as they are on more than one site - I am still trying to work out best outlets for stuff.

Archived