Color and/or B&W?

Hi everyone, a quick question from a newby here.

I shoot color exclusively but I do sometimes convert images to B&W that will simply work better (for me anyway) in B&W. Mostly high contrast images or with "busy" skies. Is it worthwhile uploading both versions of the image? Does B&W actually sell?

Thanks!

Happy shooting, Rudi 

The general consensus is that b&w images don't do well on Alamy. However, I've had two b&w images license recently, one for presentation use and one for personal use. Both were architectural shots. I'll sometimes post a b&w version along with the original  colour one if I think an image looks particularly good in b&w.

7 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

The general consensus is that b&w images don't do well on Alamy. However, I've had two b&w images license recently, one for presentation use and one for personal use. Both were architectural shots. I'll sometimes post a b&w version along with the original  colour one if I think an image looks particularly good in b&w.

Fantastic, thanks for the reply and advice John.

B&W does work well for architecture, thanks, will post the odd one that I like or think might be liked, if it sells fine if not it is not a loss.

Thanks again for your time,

Rudi

33 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

The usual advice is to upload both the B&W and the colour versions. After all, you presumably have done all the dust & sweet-wrapper removal as well as the caption, so why not double your chances? They won't necessarily appear side-by-side on a search

You have a good point Robert, might as well upload it since the hard work is done!

Thanks,

Rudi

I admit I have no experience of the market at Alamy but I would guess black and white will be something that comes in and out of fashion - some young designer will "discover" how effective and different it is in certain situations and go for it - others will be impressed and copy for a while - then colour will come back in - then when the first young designer is no longer young you will get another one "discover" it all over again. 

It would only make sense to put both versions up - in case yours is the image that young designer discovers.

1 minute ago, Starsphinx said:

I admit I have no experience of the market at Alamy but I would guess black and white will be something that comes in and out of fashion - some young designer will "discover" how effective and different it is in certain situations and go for it - others will be impressed and copy for a while - then colour will come back in - then when the first young designer is no longer you will get another one "discover" it all over again. 

It would only make sense to put both versions up - in case yours is the image that young designer discovers.

That sounds a bit like me, every now and then I "discover" B&W again....
I have done quite a bit of street photography (mostly people/faces that show emotion) that I ended up converting to B&W, but I have no model releases for those...

Back in Art School it was pretty well all B&W and we got experienced in printing. That was great! Then when I started collecting and selling stock photos, I kept hearing publishers saying "it's only B&W, that'll be half price won't it?" Well, of course, everything about B&W was far more expensive so I took exception to this idea and for a long time would have nothing to do with B&W.

I'm not too sure about the in/out fashion aspect to B&W but as long as the price isn't discounted, I'm OK with it now.

2 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

Back in Art School it was pretty well all B&W and we got experienced in printing. That was great! Then when I started collecting and selling stock photos, I kept hearing publishers saying "it's only B&W, that'll be half price won't it?" Well, of course, everything about B&W was far more expensive so I took exception to this idea and for a long time would have nothing to do with B&W.

I'm not too sure about the in/out fashion aspect to B&W but as long as the price isn't discounted, I'm OK with it now.

I agree, takes just as much work, if not more, to prepare a B&W image, no discount!

13 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Someone zoomed another of my b&w images yesterday, architecture shot again.

I will put some B&W images into my upload queue, have spent the last 4 days selecting images and uploading/keywording, hard work but fun as I see images I have forgotten about and I have discovered a few hidden jewels I never noticed because they were hidden in large batches from shoots.

I've quite a few black & white photographs here, particularly some reportage/documentary type images. Yet to have any licenced here (done very well elsewhere tho).

As already mentioned, upload both b/w and colour versions. And maybe use different supertags for each image ?

Maybe worth putting that the image is available in both formats in the extra information bit if that is allowed - if the photos do not appear next to each other in the results then it might be useful for anyone zooming one to know it has a twin.

The only time I upload B & W's is if I only shot it on B & W film, ah the good old days, or if there is some

other compelling reason to convert it to B & W.  My older B & W's, Tri-X, have done OK.

I've also done some Duo-Tones at the request of clients, but never uploaded one to Alamy.

I would think that the only reason to upload both an original and a B & W conversion would

be if you could do something really exceptional in the process of converting the image to B & W.

Just my opinion.

Chuck

Archived