Jump to content

Alamy watermarked images on this site


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, James Hodgson said:

Just came upon this website whilst looking for bus times for an upcoming trip, contains several alamy watermarked images if you have a look around:

 

 

http://www.megatruckcollection.com/image/witney-swindon-bus-timetable/16/the-copse-at-tadpole-garden-village--swindon--crest-nicholson

 

JH

 

Images lifted straight from Alamy.

And they have a DMCA page saying ‘We Respect The Intellectual Property Rights Of Others And Expects Our Users To Do The Same’!

Report to Alamy.

Edited by Thyrsis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The site is so crushing slow that I couldn't bear to open many of the images. There was one of a double decker coach from Oxford which had ALAMY STOCK PHOTO in the title and when opened had both the alamy watermark on the image and a credit underneath for Alamy. BCYXRH. Similarly a coach at Swindon F3DARO.

Hard to figure what's going on here but it would be helpful if Alamy took a look.

Edited by Robert M Estall
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This appears to be yet one more of the multitude of sites set up designed solely to generate income from Google ads. I think the best thing to do is to report it to google Adwords as an abuse. There is a form you can complete here 

https://support.google.com/google-ads/contact/thirdparty_complaint?hl=en-GB

 

Specify that your image is a copyright abuse and that the site has no meaningful content. I doubt Alamy have any power to do anything. When I have tried they have told me that they need an email address to contact the owner, and often it is impossible to find one on the site. The DMCA bit is just a template that appears on all of these sites but has no meaningful purpose as far as I can see. My son, who is an IT expert (and used to work for Google), told me that these sites can be automatically generated. So, as soon as one is closed down, if Google takes away the income generation, another one will open. So I’m not sure if it even worth the time to do anything.

Edited by Sally
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sally said:

This appears to be yet one more of the multitude of sites set up designed solely to generate income from Google ads. I think the best thing to do is to report it to google Adwords as an abuse. There is a form you can complete here 

https://support.google.com/google-ads/contact/thirdparty_complaint?hl=en-GB

 

Specify that your image is a copyright abuse and that the site has no meaningful content. I doubt Alamy have any power to do anything. When I have tried they have told me that they need an email address to contact the owner, and often it is impossible to find one on the site. The DMCA bit is just a template that appears on all of these sites but has no meaningful purpose as far as I can see. My son, who is an IT expert (and used to work for Google), told me that these sites can be automatically generated. So, as soon as one is closed down, if Google takes away the income generation, another one will open. So I’m not sure if it even worth the time to do anything.

Also it is worth being aware that google ads are not the only way advertising can be added to a website - google are remarkably strict on their terms and conditions and would almost certainly refuse any site with watermarked images in the first place (you have to apply with each site to google to get adwords accepted - at least that is the message I am getting right now) they will also reject sites on lack of meaningful content, abnormal ad clicks, bad visitor experience and a few other things.   They are strict because they pay the best rates to sites they do accept and for those paying to advertise get high click-through rates because of the quality of sites.  There are multiple other places that sort ad placement on sites with much lower pass bars.  Think Alamy versus slightly dodgy microstock.  I would not assume ads are from google and would still report to Alamy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

If you search for an image on a mobile device, you will see that Alamy itself has 3 uplink buttons to twitter, facebook and pinterest, making it apparent to anyone who wants to steal our watermarked images that Alamy is happy to allow it. So is it stealing if someone opens their front door and invites you to help yourself? These download buttons  should be available to registered buyers, not anyone who comes along. Hopefully Alamy will look into this matter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Snappy on California said:

If you search for an image on a mobile device, you will see that Alamy itself has 3 uplink buttons to twitter, facebook and pinterest, making it apparent to anyone who wants to steal our watermarked images that Alamy is happy to allow it. So is it stealing if someone opens their front door and invites you to help yourself? These download buttons  should be available to registered buyers, not anyone who comes along. Hopefully Alamy will look into this matter.

 

That's never going to happen.  Alamy want visitors to share images (c/w watermarks) as this promotes the brand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/08/2018 at 08:06, Thyrsis said:

 

Images lifted straight from Alamy.

And they have a DMCA page saying ‘We Respect The Intellectual Property Rights Of Others And Expects Our Users To Do The Same’!

Report to Alamy.

I can't report it due to alamy only allowing you to report your own images. Mine are not there, I only came across it whilst looking for Swindon bus timetables. 

I could be wrong on this, is there a facility to report alamy watermarked images? or is it just a case of emailing?

Quite honestly, as this happens a lot, I thinks there should be a dashboard option or at least a dedicated email address.

JH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, James Hodgson said:

I can't report it due to alamy only allowing you to report your own images. Mine are not there, I only came across it whilst looking for Swindon bus timetables. 

I could be wrong on this, is there a facility to report alamy watermarked images? or is it just a case of emailing?

Quite honestly, as this happens a lot, I thinks there should be a dashboard option or at least a dedicated email address.

JH

 

Nothing ever prevents you from sending an email ;).  The problem is that these types of sites proliferate logarithmically these days and I doubt whether Alamy want to divert their resources to chasing up these junk sites which just contain watermarked photos in bulk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, losdemas said:

 

Nothing ever prevents you from sending an email ;).  The problem is that these types of sites proliferate logarithmically these days and I doubt whether Alamy want to divert their resources to chasing up these junk sites which just contain watermarked photos in bulk.

Yeah I agree, hence the suggestion of a seperate reporting thing on the dashboard or seperate email address. But then again, if they don't bother chasing up payments and reporting from established UK news papers then what do they really care! as long as the hq wages are paid and they cover the cost of the Christmas party...

JH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.