I don't know what you mean by naming the actual files. Don't use un-applicable tags. Discoverability isn't important. Accurate tags are. If you want to find your own images quickly click on the blue number here under your location and then bookmark that page so you can go to all your images any time.

Paulette

23 hours ago, Matthew Johnson said:

How can I increase discoverability of my images? Really, I can't even find them myself ;) . Do I need to name the actual files I upload or just add tons of un-applicable tags? Thanks in advance

Gosh, there are so many things wrong with your images, I don’t know where to start.

First, the good. They are well exposed and focused. But...

Why would you turn an Easter egg into B&W? Easter eggs are by nature colorful, they represent a joyful season. It should be in color.

Two pictures of trees with leaves. Your caption and tags do not say what kind of trees they are. Always, always, give the common name and scientific (Latin) name. Then give location.  Lose tags like soft focus, blurred background, or anything that reflects your shooting method. Buyers don’t give a flip about that info, they look for a tree by name, common or scientific. I can’t tell you how many images I’ve sold with the only search term being the scientific name. Whether it was plants, insects, birds or whatever.

That information should be in the caption and repeated in the tags.

Alamy isn’t an art site. Most of the buyers come here for an editorial image, to use in newspapers, websites, books and magazines. They want to know who, what, where and everything regarding identification.

Click on the blue number under my avatar to the left. Right away you’ll see images of weeds and trees. Look at my captions, look at my tags. 

Instead of setting out to make arty photos, think editorial. What about the image would make it be purchased? For an article about Pin Oak trees? For a textbook illustrating a chapter about a specific subject? When it comes to people, search terms might be “sad elderly man” or “sadness” or “father bathing child”. Woman eating Doritos” “grandfather and newborn” (that one recently sold for me).

once you change the way you choose what to shoot

once you think editorial

once you forget arty photos and how you set your camera

once you choose informative captions and tags

once you upload hundreds more, you might start selling.

I truly wish you good luck, and hope my tips open your way of thinking about stock images. I wish someone had set me straight in the beginning.

Betty

5 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

Betty, I think that is a great post - and should be read by every newcomer.

Thank you! I try to give advice that I would have wanted to know when I was a newcomer. In my neck of the woods, they would say, “She didn’t know come here from sic ‘em” back when I started. :lol:

Betty

Hi betty,
even if I'm not very talkative (time is tyrant) I always follow your interventions and I must say that the availability that proves you is very honorable! Thanks also from me, your answers and your interventions have always helped me and are still important!

lorenza

On 7/23/2018 at 05:39, NYCat said:

If you want to find your own images quickly click on the blue number here under your location

Um.. I tried that but only 7 of my images are showing up. The other 14 (sigh… such a small number) aren't appearing yet :(

fineartamerica, for one. You can be, and should be, as arty as you want there. They aren’t in competition (I don’t think) with Alamy, so I assume it’s ok to mention the name?. It’s usa based but people all over the world sell there.

And thank you for your kind comments. :)

2 hours ago, Matthew Johnson said:

Um.. I tried that but only 7 of my images are showing up. The other 14 (sigh… such a small number) aren't appearing yet :(

The other 14 should show up once there is the daily update.

Archived