I took some photos of singer Billy Ocean at a free concert at Liverpool's Pier Head last night and submitted them to the live news feed. They appeared on the news feed. A few hours later I got an email from alamy to ask if I had accreditation to cover Billy Ocean( I did not) and that I could not sell my images if I did not. Is this correct ? Also, could I try to sell the photos direct to Billy Ocean's management ?

I'm guessing this was part of the Liverpool International Music Festival. Their website FAQ's include the  following paragraph

Due to legal artist performance rights and royalty obligations, no video or audio recording equipment or any camera which is over 35mm or with a detachable lens is permitted onto the venue site. You will not be allowed to enter the site if you bring equipment that, at the discretion of our security, infringes on these rules.

Depending on the kind of camera you used, you may count yourself fortunate to have got the camera into the venue at all. Accredited photographers will have the right to use images taken there, probably under very strict terms set by the artists and promoters. I suspect the management of Billy Ocean would send you away with a flea in your ear. There are many experienced event photogs at Alamy who will no doubt expand on and correct what I write here, but this will get the ball rolling.

Surely if it was a free concert then he was "in public" and could be photographed??

Or can they still put restrictions on the taking and use of photographs ?

Kumar

HI Joseph, it was actually part of the International Mersey River Festival and not LIMF. I've taken photos at LIMF with no probs in the past. Besides everybody carries a mobile phone these days which can record video.Good comment Kumar.

I'm guessing this was part of the Liverpool International Music Festival. Their website FAQ's include the  following paragraph

Due to legal artist performance rights and royalty obligations, no video or audio recording equipment or any camera which is over 35mm or with a detachable lens is permitted onto the venue site. You will not be allowed to enter the site if you bring equipment that, at the discretion of our security, infringes on these rules.

Depending on the kind of camera you used, you may count yourself fortunate to have got the camera into the venue at all. Accredited photographers will have the right to use images taken there, probably under very strict terms set by the artists and promoters. I suspect the management of Billy Ocean would send you away with a flea in your ear. There are many experienced event photogs at Alamy who will no doubt expand on and correct what I write here, but this will get the ball rolling.

LIMF advertises itself as counter-culture- so much for that then.

OP if it was in public there's nothing to prevent you (and precious little in private) but Alamy can apply what rules it likes to its own newsfeed. My guess is that it has been leant on again and is taking the line of least resistance as usual. Try elsewhere next time

I just saw a similar restriction for the Governor's Ball which happened here in New York this past weekend - no professional cameras with removable lenses. More and more performers are putting restrictions on cameras and how the photos can be used i.e. Taylor Swift.

Still, I'm surprised to see Alamy Live News policing the news feed for these performances. Maybe they've had previous experience with management companies?

Of course one way around this is to use an iPhone and submit the photos via Stockimo ;)

I just saw a similar restriction for the Governor's Ball which happened here in New York this past weekend - no professional cameras with removable lenses. More and more performers are putting restrictions on cameras and how the photos can be used i.e. Taylor Swift.

Still, I'm surprised to see Alamy Live News policing the news feed for these performances. Maybe they've had previous experience with management companies?

Of course one way around this is to use an iPhone and submit the photos via Stockimo ;)

No pictures from pro cameras allowed to be floating around the internet, but lots of phone images are ok?

Not referring to Stockimo type shooters, but rather snappers with phones.

They can train their goons to recognise a big camera with a lens sticking out, but if they started confiscating phones they'd have a riot on their hands. In other words, they stop us because they can. They want the publicity but not the competition.

Archived