Nikon profiles

Hi - I've recently noticed that my trusty old D3 seems to be delivering files where some of the foliage/grass colours are much too vivid, particularly when shot in strong sunlight. I don't recall altering anything in the camera, which I always use in RAW with the picture control set to STD and the colour space to sRGB (I know these don't affect the RAW file). The Lightroom (v6.14) profile is set to Adobe Standard, as always. I'm wondering whether I should be switching the Lightroom profile to Camera Standard to match the in-camera setting. This seems to reduce the overall brightness slightly. What do others do?

Alex

This is probably not what you are looking for but I sometimes go to the HSL section of Lightroom to adjust colors that are bothersome to me. I will do it for an individual image so not much of an overall solution though if you find something that usually works you could make it an import setting.

Paulette

2 hours ago, Alex Ramsay said:

Hi - I've recently noticed that my trusty old D3 seems to be delivering files where some of the foliage/grass colours are much too vivid, particularly when shot in strong sunlight. I don't recall altering anything in the camera, which I always use in RAW with the picture control set to STD and the colour space to sRGB (I know these don't affect the RAW file). The Lightroom (v6.14) profile is set to Adobe Standard, as always. I'm wondering whether I should be switching the Lightroom profile to Camera Standard to match the in-camera setting. This seems to reduce the overall brightness slightly. What do others do?

Alex

Adobe Standard is generally recommended as a starting point profile. Camera Standard is designed to match the default in-camera JPEG as far as I know. I generally use Adobe Standard but Adobe Portrait at times as it gives nice skin tones. I have a Color Checker Passport which can be used to produce custom profiles but I seem to have just lapsed into using the Adobve ones of late.

So your question leads to more questions than answers I think. As you say, the camera settings are irrelevant if shooting raw so if things have changed it is likely to be down to your Lightroom settings (having said that, your White Balance setting is determined by the camera if LR WB is set to As Shot). Or could it be that you have changed something on your monitor? Are you using hardware calibration?  There have been a lot of changes in CC with how profiles are accessed recently but I don't know if there have been any changes to the actual profiles. I've not noticed any changes but maybe I've been too busy or blind to notice. I presume you are seeing these differences in the raw files in the Develop Module Lightroom itself rather than after conversion elsewhere. The Develop Module in Lightroom is fully colour managed and uses a huge colour space close to ProPhoto RGB.

This may be irrelevant to the current question but are you using sRGB as the colour space for conversion? I am not sure why you would do this (if you are) as it is a very small colour space so if using it in conversions you are throwing away vast amounts of colour information. AdobeRGB or ProPhoto RGB are generally recommended.

3 hours ago, Alex Ramsay said:

Alex

You are not alone .... the recent LR updates frighten me to death when I looked at some grass and the colour it rendered from my trusty D3

Archived