Keywording problems with accessibility issues

Stephen Barnes

I have quite bad arthritis in my hands, and I'm finding the keywording process more and more frustrating because of one simple issue.

When keywording multiple images, many of the keywords show up as light grey when they only apply to some of the selected images.  I want to select these to add them to all selected images.  However, unless the mouse is COMPLETELY still when clicking, all you do is to move the keyword slightly.  It doesn't apply to all images.

I end up clicking on a keyword, it temporarily darkens, then goes back to grey because my mouse moved by one nanometre.

This also happens when I try to promote tags to supertags.

This is frustrating, as I find it very difficult to keep my mouse absolutely still and click the button at the same time, meaning it can take me 10 clicks (or more) to select each keyword.  This is VERY frustrating!  I really don't see why it's necessary to move a keyword anyway, as the order makes no difference (I know you can combine keywords by dragging and dropping) but surely clicking to select is a MUCH more common activity.

Can the keyword be selected if you click anywhere within the box, not just on the text? Can it be selected if you move your mouse even a tiny amount? To move a keyword you need to drag the mouse a considerable (relatively) distance.

This really is affecting my ability to keyword, and I believe it's a disability/access issue (as well as incredibly frustrating for most people, I'm sure!)

To me the ability to join keywords into a phrase is essential so I wouldn't want to lose that. I can't think of an answer to the moving mouse, except maybe increasing the friction on your mat. Maybe take the little slippery footpads off if it has them, or roughing or covering them up with some matt tape. Or even add some weight inside. Then it will stay put when you push the button.

What do you mean by a "disability/access issue"?

1 hour ago, Stephen Barnes said:

I have quite bad arthritis in my hands, and I'm finding the keywording process more and more frustrating because of one simple issue.

When keywording multiple images, many of the keywords show up as light grey when they only apply to some of the selected images.  I want to select these to add them to all selected images.  However, unless the mouse is COMPLETELY still when clicking, all you do is to move the keyword slightly.  It doesn't apply to all images.

I end up clicking on a keyword, it temporarily darkens, then goes back to grey because my mouse moved by one nanometre.

This also happens when I try to promote tags to supertags.

This is frustrating, as I find it very difficult to keep my mouse absolutely still and click the button at the same time, meaning it can take me 10 clicks (or more) to select each keyword.  This is VERY frustrating!  I really don't see why it's necessary to move a keyword anyway, as the order makes no difference (I know you can combine keywords by dragging and dropping) but surely clicking to select is a MUCH more common activity.

Can the keyword be selected if you click anywhere within the box, not just on the text? Can it be selected if you move your mouse even a tiny amount? To move a keyword you need to drag the mouse a considerable (relatively) distance.

This really is affecting my ability to keyword, and I believe it's a disability/access issue (as well as incredibly frustrating for most people, I'm sure!)

My father had a similar issue (when he clicked the mouse moved) - using a tracker ball fixed it for him because he could roll the ball to position the cursor and the click the button without rolling the ball.

As another potential solution, try reducing your mouse tacking sensitivity.

I agree the current AIM interface is frustrating, users have to click far too accurately to select a tag or even more precisely to delete it by clicking on the tiny X

Mark 

Thanks guys.

As an IT consultant by day, I know the root-cause of the problem lies with the user interface design.  It's just far too sensitive, and has some daft quirks.

I have no problem with any other stock site, or any other website in general - it's just the design of the Alamy Image Manager.  Id even happily go back to the original keywording system, as it worked well for me.

Spacecadet: my mention of "disability/access" issues is because websites are supposed to be accessible to all, even those with disabilities.  This isn't particularly accessible to me, and even "able bodied" people struggle.

8 hours ago, Stephen Barnes said:

Spacecadet: my mention of "disability/access" issues is because websites are supposed to be accessible to all, even those with disabilities.  This isn't particularly accessible to me, and even "able bodied" people struggle.

Good luck arguing that keywording stock images is a "normal day-to-day activity", or that having to have a couple of attempts at selecting a tag puts you at a "substantial advantage".

Anyway, you use the LR plugin- isn't that easier? You may not need to use AIM at all.

I don't suffer from any disability and am OK with a mouse, But I find it extremely annoying when trying to supertag a keyword by clicking on the star and the word jumps into another for an imperceptible movement of the mouse. There is no need to get rid of the feature, just adjust it so a more deliberate movement is required. 

36 minutes ago, BobD said:

I don't suffer from any disability and am OK with a mouse, But I find it extremely annoying when trying to supertag a keyword by clicking on the star and the word jumps into another for an imperceptible movement of the mouse. There is no need to get rid of the feature, just adjust it so a more deliberate movement is required. 

Maybe try Mark's suggestion- turn the pointer speed down a notch?

Almost by accident I just discovered that if I enlarge (zoom) my browser display from 100% to 120% (cntrl + in Google Chrome) it becomes easier to hit the supertag star or the tag delete cross. Duhh...  :wacko::)

Mark

Archived