Does Anyone Own a Sony 24-105 f/4 for the NEX Line?

Isn't the Sony 24-105 an FE lens (made primarily for full frame sensors), which would make it a 36-157.5 on the a6000?

Are you sure you don't mean this Sony SEL 18-105 f/4 G lens? It was originally designed for the NEX cameras and would be directly compatible with the a6000.

P.S. I don't believe there is a 24-70 for NEX/a6000. Maybe you're thinking of the pricey Sony Zeiss 16-70 f/4.

4 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Isn't the Sony 24-105 an FE lens (made primarily for full frame sensors), which would make it a 36-157.5 on the a6000?

Are you sure you don't mean this Sony SEL 18-105 f/4 G lens? It was originally designed for the NEX cameras and would be directly compatible with the a6000.

P.S. I don't believe there is a 24-70 for NEX/a6000. Maybe you're thinking of the pricey Sony Zeiss 16-70 f/4.

Yes, FF. It came out in 2017. 36-158 is OK. I have a 10-18, so for my 24MP a6000 I would have from 15mm to 158mm with the two zooms.

That 18-105 f/4 is a very old zoom and is known for its bad autofocus. This is the 24-70:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008126-REG/sony_sel2470z_vario_tessar_t_fe_24_70mm.html

I some some gear to trade in and it all depends on closing the deal on my apartment lease. 

The very cheap f3.5-5.6  28-70mm is actually pretty good on APS-C. The corners are not too good, but the center is. They very often come as the kit lens with the cheaper FF Sony's.

(DXO lens database Sony E and EF here.)

Mine came new in bubble wrap at half the price of a boxed one. At the dealer's.

The going rate for an unboxed new one on Ebay seems to be  $180-200.  $398 gets you one with a box around it at B&H.

I have not found a 24-105mm in stock anywhere  yet. Some people do have them though. Maybe from the first batch.

B&H seems to have them in stock now since the first week of June.

Lensrentals has tested a couple (10) in February.

I am going to rent one first.

wim

24 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

I have not found a 24-105mm in stock anywhere  yet. Some people do have them though. Maybe from the first batch.

wim

B&H has it listed 'on backorder' again today. I can't do that. I'll be in and out of NYC with a hundred things to do. And no address. I need to carry it out the door with me. I was hoping someone here owned one. 

And I wasn't trying to open another discussion of the possibilities in the odd Sony lens arsenal. I've already combed through all that and found nothing I trust or want. It looks as if I'll have to stay with what I have for the a6000, a 10-18 and a 50 f/1.8. 

16 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

B&H has it listed 'on backorder' again today. I can't do that. I'll be in and out of NYC with a hundred things to do. And no address. I need to carry it out the door with me. I was hoping someone here owned one. 

And I wasn't trying to open another discussion of the possibilities in the odd Sony lens arsenal. I've already combed through all that and found nothing I trust or want. It looks as if I'll have to stay with what I have for the a6000, a 10-18 and a 50 f/1.8. 

Yes I get the combing. Done some combing myself ;-)

But the 28-70 at $200 or under is so cheap for the quality that it never hurts to have one. It has Steady Shot and the best thing: it only weighs 295g /10.4 oz.

However I wouldn't buy it at $499.

I am actually hoping for the same: that someone here already has one.

So please if anybody here is already using it, please report!

wim

edit:  <>if anybody here is already using it<> meaning the 24-105mm

MPB in NYC has a bunch of 28-70's at $219-229. MPB is great to do business with. I sold them all my Nikon gear and bought the a6000 there. Almost every owner's opinion has been positive. I don't like the f/3.5-5.6 aperture, but it may be still be worth having. 

Thanks again, Wim. 

1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

MPB in NYC has a bunch of 28-70's at $219-229. MPB is great to do business with. I sold them all my Nikon gear and bought the a6000 there. Almost every owner's opinion has been positive. I don't like the f/3.5-5.6 aperture, but it maybe still be worth having. 

Thanks again, Wim. 

Prego.

I'll make the aperture thing worse: don't use the f3.5. Use it from f4 up.

The field maps at DXO measurements  -> Sharpness -> Field map are really useful.

Also at the longer end and the smallest apertures:  just let them be.

Very common behavior for zoom lenses btw.

wim

Edo I went to a display on Sunday and took two A6000 bodies with me. One with an FE f4 16 - 35mm lens, the other with an FE f4 24 - 70mm lens.

This gave me a 24 - 52mm and 36 - 105mm (equiv) shooting capacity with the two cameras.

I found at the end of the day, apart from having no ill effects from carrying both cameras, I found I took most images with the 36 - 105 (equiv) lens at about a 7:1 ratio.

Realise that cost of these lenses may be a little prohibitive but they are available second hand I believe. My 16 - 35 was bought s/h £800.

The point being you give yourself an improved IQ with full frame lenses on APS-C bodies. But you know this already.

The 24- 240 certainly looks interesting and will investigate it myself as to have the ability to go to 360mm (equiv) at the long end would be all I need for my travel and walkabout kit.

I would still be carrying my RX100 mk3 as in my pocket as well.

Allan

Thanks, Allan.

I read up on most of the Sony zooms. I have the 10-18 f/4 (15-24). The new 24-105 has better autofocus it seems, one of the fault I've found on other Sony gear. For me it will be either the new 24-105 f/4 or the cheaper 28-70 Wim suggested. I won't have time to wait in NYC for the new zoom to get back into the shops. 

Archived