A comprehensive list of events in London?

Does anyone know where to find a good comprehensive list of upcoming newsworthy events (marches, protests, demos, memorial services, etc) in London?

I know of several different places for film premières, and the Met Police have a site listing upcoming demos, but only those which are likely to cause traffic disruption. Bits and pieces can be got from various newspapers and local TV news, but it's a bit hit and miss.

I have been up to several events recently and got some good pictures (and, more importantly, sales) but I have equally been frustrated by only hearing about such things afterwards on the news.

Anyone know of a single good source of info on upcoming newsworthy stuff?

(Sorry it's Londoncentric. That's where I'm based - any other regional sources welcome too)

As far as I know there are only pay-for services available to which you have to subscribe.

I believe that Alamy subscribe to one and provide the information therein to their most (consistent/successful?) Live News contributors.

From what others have said though (Keith Morris for one), unless you want to be one of a (dozen/hundred) other 'togs covering exactly the same event, (and competing with those uploading direct to news services) you are better off doing your own research (local radio/rags/social media/internet/regular events listings/personal contacts etc.)

Best of luck :)

I am not in London and can only offer a suggestion....

Here in Denver, a person can view (via public record) the permitted events in the city by calendar.  If a group/organization has been issued a license through the city, this information is entered into a calendar available for public viewing.  I did a quick Google search and the second link I clicked on brought me to this website...

http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/events/default/default.asp

I have a bookmarked page that's similar to Denver that I found after a lot of searching....I also utilize Twitter and other sources as well as common sense.  With relation to the "common sense" comment, I'll give an example.  I know from experience that there's going to be a demonstration/protest just about every Saturday at the capital around noon.  I know currently, the hot topic is Syria.  Thursday night, I did a search on "Syria Denver Protest" and I found the date and time scheduled via Facebook.

News organizations have their methods....I have my methods.  The bottom line is nobody is going to hand this information to competitors and you need to do your own research.  Sometimes that research will be easy to come by and other times, it will take old fashion snooping to come up with.

Thanks Ed, that's very helpful. I apreciate the effort.

I also follow local news, TV and radio, twitter, as well as Googling endlessly - I was just hoping to find everything in one place. Being lazy really, though Ed's link to the individual Boroughs' sites is going to be a big help - especially Westminster.

Thanks again

Most photo agencies will supply a diary of upcoming events if you become a contributor. They recognise it's in their interest as well as yours to get events covered for live news.

Obviously it's helpful to keep your eyes and ears open for anything that might be worth doing in your local area too.

Archived