Upgrading to Sony A7iii, what lenses to get??

Hey guys,

I'm upgrading to the full frame mirrorless Sony A7iii. I've been debating what lenses to get. I currently mainly use a 16-80mm and 70-200mm on an aps-c camera. I shoot a variety of subjects, mainly landscapes and cityscapes, but also some events and some portrait shots.

So here's my thinking. The Sony 24-70mm f2.8 G Master is a great lens, but £2,100 and 950g so really expensive and the camera would be front heavy. So Tamron has just bought out a 28-75mm f2.8 for £800. It's not as wide as the Sony, but considerably cheaper and lighter at 550g. So I thought I'd go for this and the Sony F4 70-200mm.

Anyway..... I was just talking to a fellow photographer (btw a lot more professional than me) and he says his go to lens is the Nikon 24-120mm. Ok. So I looked at the Sony equivalent: 24-105mm F4 £1,200 650g. I thought the image quality wouldn't be so good for such a zoom range, but apparently it is and the bokeh is ok. The ISO is so good on the latest cameras that you can boost it to compensate for slower lenses without noticeable noise.

So..... Do I get the 28-75 and 70-200, or just the 24-105mm (which would mean I probably don't change lens so often)???? Decisions decisions!!! Has anyone got any thoughts? Maybe an entirely different suggestion even!

Stephen

I have the 7ii and use the Sony FE24-70 f4 ZA OSS with the FE70-200 f4 G OSS. Both excellent lenses. No need to go to f2.8 in my opinion.

I also have the Sony FE16-35 f4 ZA OSS wide as well (bought S/H £810) and the FE 50mm f1.8 for studio (£225 new)

The FE90 f2.8 macro G OSS (S/H £744) which I use most on a Sony A6000.

Sorry I have no experience of the Tamrons. The Sony 24-105 f4 would be a good travel lens if you wish to travel light with only one lens.

Allan

I can't offer an opinion on Sony, but what I can say is that for nearly ten years now I've been using a 24-105 on my Canon 5D2 and it's the perfect walkabout lens for stock shooting. I hardly ever need to use a longer length so the 24-105 takes 95% or more of my pics.

Alan

Thanks guys, good advice both.

I think that probably decides it in favour of the 24-105. It does look like a great walkaround lens. I love the effects I can get with my 70-200, but it's a pain to lug around and I don't use it so much.

I'm getting the FE90 macro too. Should cover portraits.

Steve

Again, I can offer nothing on Sony but my vote goes to the 24-120mm. Its f4 and, as with Alan, I rarely take it off. My 24MP gives me a bit of slack for cropping, so I only put on the 70-200mm (also f4, I am done with 1,5kg f2,8s) when I really need 200mm. 

Looking forwards to shooting with the new kit! Except the 24-105 is so popular it's out of stock so need to pre-order!

Maybe the 70-200 will be a birthday or anniversary present... Subtle hint :)

Steve

3 hours ago, Johnnie5 said:

Have a look at the Sigma 24-105 Art, I don't own one but it seems to have good reviews and you could save some money towards  the next lens

Thanks for the tip, it would be a cheaper setup. I do use sigma and tamron lenses with my current sony. I'm stacked about going full frame though and I'm going to try and stick to native glass so I don't worry about potential focus problems.

12 hours ago, Duncan_Andison said:

I have the 24-105 and it is an excellent lens. I use it as a walkabout lens but also if I need something with a bit of flexibility in the studio... it handles it all very well indeed!

Useful on a Sony a6000 body too giving 36 - 157mm equiv.

Allan

20 hours ago, Duncan_Andison said:

I have the 24-105 and it is an excellent lens. I use it as a walkabout lens but also if I need something with a bit of flexibility in the studio... it handles it all very well indeed!

Lens is on order (still out of stock!) That's right, keep giving me positive confirmation once I've already ordered :)

Archived