Drone rules UK: where can you fly (if anywhere) [video]

Perhaps there are different restrictions in Cape Town (seen from the top of a tourist bus)

small-drone-flying-above-beach-road-with

I also wonder what the situation is like in Scotland (not that I want a drone or even want to encourage them) but we have about third of the land mass of the U.K., and approx 10% of the population (and most of that is concentrated in the central belt).

I’ve never understood why the regulations allow a drone to be flown so high and far from the operator. If I had one then I’d only want to go 20m up and 50m away at the most and that would be enough to give a good viewpoint for an establishing shot. Perhaps there’ll be a comeback for elevated mast photography which doesn’t need a pilot licence to operate.

On 6/8/2018 at 18:39, Sally said:

Perhaps there are different restrictions in Cape Town (seen from the top of a tourist bus)

small-drone-flying-above-beach-road-with

I also wonder what the situation is like in Scotland (not that I want a drone or even want to encourage them) but we have about third of the land mass of the U.K., and approx 10% of the population (and most of that is concentrated in the central belt).

Hi Sally,
I have received a lot of feedback about this video.
Many people told me that the situation in Scotland is particoularly good for drones: non as many by laws as down here.
I would really love to come to spend a couple of weeks in that beautiful part of the world with my bird

2 hours ago, Justin Case said:

Hi Sally,
Many people told me that the situation in Scotland is particoularly good for drones: non as many by laws as down here.
I would really love to come to spend a couple of weeks in that beautiful part of the world with my bird

Yeah... but not in the summer or you will have lots of other flying objects to contend with.......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-44389775/midges-swarm-in-argyll

and for some stunning drone photography on the Isle of Skye.....

49 minutes ago, JeffGreenberg said:

99.9% of dronists are NOT stock photographers.

95% of dronists are NOT pro photographers-videographers.

90%+ of dronists ARE flying for sport-thrills = faster, higher, riskier, etc.

And because the 90% like to fly near airports and crowds then us 0.1% get hit with regulations.

7 hours ago, Justin Case said:

Hi Sally,

We would be pleased to see you up here anytime :)

Only time I have seen a drone photographer here was at a stunning cliff top location at Tantallon Castle. He was actually within the HES site, too.

sunset-on-14th-century-ruined-tantallon-

On 6/9/2018 at 09:45, AndrewP said:

I’ve never understood why the regulations allow a drone to be flown so high and far from the operator. If I had one then I’d only want to go 20m up and 50m away at the most and that would be enough to give a good viewpoint for an establishing shot. Perhaps there’ll be a comeback for elevated mast photography which doesn’t need a pilot licence to operate.

Hi Andrew,
I agree with you: I always keep the drone in sight, also I never went above 300 FT, even though the regulations allow for 400.
Still, if you are filming 20m up does not get you very far: there are some very interesting shots flying extremely low, but most video I do is in the range 60-80 meters

Archived