I have just changed the settings on my computer and monitor to reduce glare and brightness. Unsurprisingly the way my images now appear has changed. Many look too saturated with colour and also appear too dull even though they have been accepted by QC both on this site and on other stock sites. Obviously in many respects these are subjective observations but is there an unexpensive way to ensure standardisation of brightness and colour saturation levels etc to make them more universally acceptable. i may not have presented my question is a very coherent way but I hope you understand what i mean.

Maybe Google monitor calibration?

However it cannot be done without a hardware tool.

And your monitor must be capable to reach an acceptable standard for photography.

I use the XRite i1 Display pro which is really good and quite cheap at around 175 GBP

My displays are Dell and Eizo.

wim

I'm not advocating it as a policy, but if you don't have a calibratable monitor (I don't think all are) or don't want to shell out, I've found the built-in setup tool in Windows to be adequate for stock. It's not true calibration though and  it's not good enough for critical printing- if I want a decent colour inkjet I have to test and correct by eye.

18 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Maybe Google monitor calibration?

However it cannot be done without a hardware tool.

And your monitor must be capable to reach an acceptable standard for photography.

I use the XRite i1 Display pro which is really good and quite cheap at around 175 GBP

My displays are Dell and Eizo.

wim

Wim, I've got the same device. Out of interest what  luminance  level do you choose? 

Mark

2 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Wim, I've got the same device. Out of interest what  luminance  level do you choose? 

Mark

I don't remember. It must be visible somewhere.

Probably around 110 cd/m2.

I'll see if I can check that somewhere after dinner ;-)

wim

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

I don't remember. It must be visible somewhere.

Probably around 110 cd/m2.

I'll see if I can check that somewhere after dinner ;-)

wim

I left mine set to "native" and my monitor is set to max brightness so I'm somewhat brighter than that, but I do work in a reasonably lit room. It's an interesting question these days, with many usages being on-line is the recommended level of 80-120cd/m2 still valid? Do my images look too dark too you?

Mark

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

I left mine set to "native" and my monitor is set to max brightness so I'm somewhat brighter than that, but I do work in a reasonably lit room. It's an interesting question these days, with many usages being on-line is the recommended level of 80-120cd/m2 still valid? Do my images look too dark too you?

Mark

My Dells (now ancient 2410-s) are set to native also, which is around 5600.

The Eizo is set at 5500 and 100 cd/m2.

The Dells are in a somewhat brighter spot and are at 115 cd.

In order to achieve 115cd I have to lower the brightness slider of the monitor to 18%. The contrast is at 50% where it should be.

Calibrating the Eizo works slightly differently, but I also had to bring down the brightness a bit manually.

I may have to adjust the Eizo when I move that computer, because I set it relative to the ambient light.

Your images look fine to me.

wim

Archived