Sally

Plant Identification

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I did ask the name of this plant, but over the course of the holiday, promptly forgot it. This is a plant/bush on Easter Island. Any ideas?

close-up-of-small-prickly-fruits-growing

Edited by Sally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ricinus communis, castor oil plant.  Origin of the poison Ricin.  Don't eat the seeds :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Ricinus communis, castor oil plant.  Origin of the poison Ricin.  Don't eat the seeds :ph34r:

I knew someone here (and most likely John) would be able to help. Thank you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are these petunias?  If so, does anyone know the variety?  I haven't been able to find them.

 

close-up-of-sunlit-pink-white-and-purple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sally said:

Are these petunias?  If so, does anyone know the variety?  I haven't been able to find them.

 

close-up-of-sunlit-pink-white-and-purple

It's a Viola, Sally - but I can't tell you which one other than it's likely to be one of the seed strains grown as annuals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, John Richmond said:

It's a Viola, Sally - but I can't tell you which one other than it's likely to be one of the seed strains grown as annuals.

Thanks - just goes to show the limited knowledge I have of plants! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A pretty pink rhododendron, but is there any way to identify it further? In a formal garden part of an old estate, now campus of Heriot Watt university.

heriot-watt-university-campus-edinburgh-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sally said:

A pretty pink rhododendron, but is there any way to identify it further? In a formal garden part of an old estate, now campus of Heriot Watt university.

heriot-watt-university-campus-edinburgh-

The best I can do is to say it's probably an old hardy hybrid variety. Hundreds of different ones were bred in the 19th and early 20th Century and it's very difficult to ID most of them without the original labels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

The best I can do is to say it's probably an old hardy hybrid variety. Hundreds of different ones were bred in the 19th and early 20th Century and it's very difficult to ID most of them without the original labels.

I thought that might be the case. I searched for a label to no avail. Thanks anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Sorry to butt in but am wondering if anyone can identify this tree/shrub growing on field margins. I have tried the interweb and books on trees but to no avail. I cannot identify it from what I see anywhere.

 

 

deep-pink-blossom-MNC39B.jpg

 

 

Thanks in anticipation.

 

Allan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Sorry to butt in but am wondering if anyone can identify this tree/shrub growing on field margins. I have tried the interweb and books on trees but to no avail. I cannot identify it from what I see anywhere.

 

 

deep-pink-blossom-MNC39B.jpg

 

 

Thanks in anticipation.

 

Allan

 

 

It's the scarlet double hawthorn, Crataegus laevigata 'Paul's Scarlet'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm reliably informed that this is a Clematis Montana, but the exact variety escapes me. I think it's Elizabeth, but can anybody confirm that or correct me please?

 

flowering-clematis-montana-closeup-MNR30

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Richard Laidler said:

I'm reliably informed that this is a Clematis Montana, but the exact variety escapes me. I think it's Elizabeth, but can anybody confirm that or correct me please?

 

flowering-clematis-montana-closeup-MNR30

Yes, 'Elizabeth'.  It looks quite dark on my (calibrated) monitor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Yes, 'Elizabeth'.  It looks quite dark on my (calibrated) monitor.

 

Thanks John - your knowledge is encyclopedic. Perhaps Alamy will consider hosting an on-line version of Gardeners Question Time with you on the panel? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John Richmond said:

It's the scarlet double hawthorn, Crataegus laevigata 'Paul's Scarlet'

 

Thank you very much John.

 

Allan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Richard Laidler said:

I'm reliably informed that this is a Clematis Montana, but the exact variety escapes me. I think it's Elizabeth, but can anybody confirm that or correct me please?

 

flowering-clematis-montana-closeup-MNR30

 

Your image is very dark on my calibrated monitor too Richard. It also seems to be lacking colour and contrast but maybe brightening it up will be enough?

 

Lacking punch I believe it is called.

 

Allan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now